Can it support jvm?

C++ is used for most serious games, for the reasons you stated. However, given the large breadth of graphics libraries in other languages, I’d hardly say it’s the primary language used in game development (just look at Minecraft as an example, it’s made in Java). Especially with widely popular game engines like Unity that use other languages like C# and JavaScript for making games with them.

This is also true. Especially with WebGL being a thing now there are a lot more Javascript and web platform games. I’ve also heard rumors that Adobe is trying to redo flash to output to HTML 5 vs. actionscript which may also provide another good resource to budding game developers. Also web would be a really good platform to release games on for Clockwork since all you would need is a browser. Anyway all good things to point out and think about as it gets closer to launch. Thanks @aewens for mentioning that.

1 Like

Not a problem, glad I could help!

Well web is clearly not a target to look at on such a platform for a various reasons:

320x240

« Underpowerer » CPU

The second point is the most critical, as powerful the R16 is, it is not sufficient compare to modern needs for a web browser.

Native (including language les Java) is the way to go on such platform, forget about that sort of thing (web based app) which will just be super painful to use.

2 Likes

Why would you use web with this thing? Does it even connect with a network system? It shouldn’t. And all the information that reaches it should undergo filtration. Preferably it would be impossible to track downloads. Nevertheless, gnome’s gunna do what it do.

I agree the native apps make a lot more sense.

It is connected as there is WiFi (and Bluetooth?)

1 Like

When the Cylons come, they’ll eat the GameShell last. It won’t help me to rise up against them, but maybe they won’t mess with Contra: Hard Corps. The Cylons will respect something that amazing. I’ll be honest. A few months of getting to talk to developers – I am not a developer – has been worth the benefit to me. My only connection to computer science is this information security program I did one time. They perceived me as a menace and removed me.

I was unable to escalate my coolness. I had the 4.0 GPA. But I was mostly interested in socializing and in bringing pizza to agile groups for user stories.

HeroesWithoutMasksLogo

The stupidest questions of all were asked by Mollie, the white mare. The very first question she asked Snowball was: “Will there still be sugar after the Rebellion?”

“No,” said Snowball firmly. “We have no means of making sugar on this farm. Besides, you do not need sugar. You will have all the oats and hay you want.”

“And shall I still be allowed to wear ribbons in my mane?” asked Mollie.

“Comrade,” said Snowball, “those ribbons that you are so devoted to are the badge of slavery. Can you not understand that liberty is worth more than ribbons?”

Mollie agreed, but she did not sound very convinced. (2.3-2.7)

I know this is a year old topic, but I’d like to bring up some stuff as I was wondering similar things.

I just ordered a GameShell yesterday, so I haven’t gotten it to play with yet.

As for the JVM and LibGDx in particular, I have no doubts Java JVM will run on the main board. I use it on raspberry pi’s and similar boards and it runs just fine (1GB ram on the pi 3B, half that on the zero).
In regards to LibGDx the biggest issue is the linkage to native libraries (using JNI). Those need to be compiled to ARM directly, which currently there is no automated way form the library itself (see PR: armhf/aarch64 libgdx support ) so hopefully soon that will be an option.
I have myself compiled libgdx/lwjgl 2 on the pi and it runs pretty well. I did however activate the kms fake opengl drivers. There is where things get tricky on this board, as I don’t know the state of the drivers (I did see some topic in January about lima? )

So, my hope is that I can program Java programs on this (even if I don’t get to use libgdx or my preferred Mini2Dx

Just got my gameshell today. Can confirm that with the native libs compiled for arm (I did it on a raspberry pi 3b) libgdx will work on gameshell :slight_smile: