GameShell OS image files (v0.3-0.4)

I have this, what does it mean?
Linux clockworkpi 4.14.2-clockworkpi-cpi3-g638f2a7 #1 SMP Mon Dec 10 07:46:56 UTC 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Can I update something more? The performance of device is not pleasant, screen tearing is noticeable
edited: I got it.
Are we gonna get new not glitchy os soon? maybe any news?

1 Like

it actually crashed twice for me today. Hopefully they update soon

ÂżWhat version of OS do you have?

Fbturbo and Lima GPU driver are unstable(freezing, crash issue). or OS itself.

developing UI or game with sdl is painful.

• If you are planning to make a software with SDL, do not set the SDL_RENDERER_PRESENTVSYNC flag. It occurs freezing issues.

That means you are on Firmware 0.3, but an earlier version than my example. I think the date is the date that the kernel was compiled. It’s also an earlier kernel with 4.14.2 vs 4.20.0 that I had. Much like @nmodnation I’m not convinced that the Firmware 0.3 is stable enough for most use cases.

As far as I know fbturbo GPU driver is used in firmware versions prior to 0.3, however adding the lima driver appears to have made the entire environment less stable.

I too would like an official word from the ClockworkPi team about the firmware and GPU drivers. Things to keep in mind with the linux kernel version:

• It is a custom kernel
  • Newer linux kernel usually means newer features
  • Newer linux kernel does not mean more stable (certain distros actually intentionally stick back on older kernels with security patches in favor of stability, but also lack the latest features)
  • The CPi GameShell runs on an ARM Cortex A7 CPU which is a RISC system architecture (Reduced Instruction Set Computing) which is fundamentally different than the x86_64 Intel processors most of us run on our laptops/desktops that are CISC (Complex Instruction Set Computing). The simplest way to explain this is that the ARM CPU is better at running low power on a handheld battery operated device like the GameShell, but since it is different everything from the kernel and OS through to the applications themselves must be compiled for its instruction set.

For more about linux kernels and versions you can go here: https://www.kernel.org/ but watch out because it gets pretty technical.

version 1.24. It hasnt crashed again since that one time tho…so it guess its ok

Thats not the OS version, it is the Launcher version.

We need a 0.4 version with more compatibility and stable GPU drivers!

I’ve heard that latest Linux kernels already have drivers for this GPU.

It could be really useful to update the image now.

2 Likes

Currently the latest version (5.1) doesn’t have the drivers but 5.2 will do, I suppose we will get 0.4 shortly after that.

Torrent links are all dead. please see this thread

So what is the procedure for running this locally e.g. on my Mac with VirtualBox?

first. VirtualBox would never work. its an x86 emulator not an ARM. second, you cannot. their image does not boot on x86 and qemu can emulate ARM but the kernel was built specific to the CPI and qemu so far (in my work) cannot emulate it entirely properly.

Well I don’t know what are we waiting for since there is already a 5.2 RC version that developers could use to prepare a GameShell OS 4.0 that fully supports our GPU. @yong please could you throw some light? I know we are not so many but you guys should keep a more active communication with the community.

3 Likes

Dead? I just tried the 0.3 and it started downloading

If your using the original then that’s a small miracle as they were dead for months. If you’re using from mympost of course they’re alive.

But I’d bet someone took and started reseeding the originals from mine or something. Good on them if they did! Now just to get devs back into their own product and work on a 0.4. Although the community seems to be getting involved.

I used the one from the main post. I guess there is not much people seeding them so its luck based

Just updated the OP, GameShell OS image files (v0.4 latest) released.

4 Likes

Does it support OpenGL? And how to ?

Both FBTurbo and Lima implement OpenGL and GL ES standards, though latter also involves GPU acceleration. To get the new OS running, you’re gonna have to burn the ISO of the OS to the SD card with the help of Rufus or Etcher… So make sure you back up your files elsewhere before you do it.