# Should I get a CM4 or CM5?

**URL:** <https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300>\
**Category:** uConsole\
**Tags:** cm5\
**Created:** [January 5, 2025, 8:14pm UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300 "2025-01-05T20:14:58Z")\
**Posts on this page:** 10\
**Page:** 1

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![REDROBRC](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex029/user_avatar/forum.clockworkpi.com/redrobrc/32/10721_2.png) [@REDROBRC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/u/REDROBRC)\
**Post date:** [January 5, 2025, 8:14pm UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300/1 "2025-01-05T20:14:58Z")

</div>

Hello everyone this is my first post here! I just ordered my uconsole yesterday with no cm module, I’m hoping that will speed up my order. My question is should I order a cm4 module that will work for sure or should I get a cm5 hoping that all the issues will get worked out before my uconsole arrives?

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![OE4DNS](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/o/85f322/32.png) [@OE4DNS](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/u/OE4DNS)\
**Post date:** [January 5, 2025, 10:55pm UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300/2 "2025-01-05T22:55:33Z")

</div>

Why not wait until you get a shipment notice and decide then? It could be months and who knows how the CM5 support develops until then. Currently I’d still go with the CM4 because it just works.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![mterencelao](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex029/user_avatar/forum.clockworkpi.com/mterencelao/32/9066_2.png) [@mterencelao](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/u/mterencelao)\
**Post date:** [January 6, 2025, 9:19am UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300/3 "2025-01-06T09:19:44Z")

</div>

> [@REDROBRC](#):
>
> Hello everyone this is my first post here!

Welcome.

> [@REDROBRC](#):
>
> My question is should I order a cm4 module that will work for sure or should I get a cm5 hoping that all the issues will get worked out before my uconsole arrives?

First off, you’re not the only person to ask that. There are [topics which](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/cm5-is-here-just-released/14961) [may answer](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/cm5-how-to-install/15085) [your burning questions](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/so-is-the-5-gonna-be-a-drop-in-replacement-for-the-4/15001/5) about CM5 support for the uConsole. Best ask your question there next time.

I wouldn’t recommend installing a CM5 on the uConsole yet, because it is very early days for the module. Heck, [Raspberry Pi Foundation still has to figure how to get sound output from the CM5’s RP1 chip.](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/bookworm-6-6-y-for-the-uconsole-and-devterm/13235/553) But if all you care about is a fixed desktop replacement with a chance of becoming portable down the line, feel free to grab the CM5 and live with its temporary deficiencies.

> [@REDROBRC](#):
>
> I just ordered my uconsole yesterday with no cm module, I’m hoping that will speed up my order

Excellent decision. Buying the CM4/CM5 elsewhere can save you a lot of time. And I say “can”, because there is also a small chance that Clockwork may still not be able to fulfill your order within the promised leadtime. Most of the individual customers believe Clockwork is fulfilling orders on a whim, unless of course you are an anonymous bulk retailer with a presence on AliExpress.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Owlwarrior](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex029/user_avatar/forum.clockworkpi.com/owlwarrior/32/10651_2.png) [@Owlwarrior](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/u/Owlwarrior)\
**Post date:** [January 7, 2025, 2:52am UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300/4 "2025-01-07T02:52:15Z")

</div>

I’m in the same boat as you. Ordered my uconsole late last year and didn’t option for any compute module. I’m going to wait until I have the shipping notification which will arrive in x amount of months time. I figure I’ve got the time to wait and then decide.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Christopher\_Smith](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex029/user_avatar/forum.clockworkpi.com/christopher_smith/32/9049_2.png) [@Christopher\_Smith](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/u/Christopher_Smith)\
**Post date:** [February 24, 2025, 9:54pm UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300/5 "2025-02-24T21:54:01Z")

</div>

Too bad there are no updates. I am got a CM5 and no idea where to go now. It flat does not work at all for me. Will not boot with current image. Not sure if this requires an entirely new image. Sounds like it will. I was hoping it would not be this bad, but it looks like there are pin differences already causing issues. Seems it would be far better for these devices not to use compute modules and just utilize standard PI even if it is larger in size. At least the compatibility issues are not as bad. They also offer far better expandablity.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Roberto\_Correia](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex029/user_avatar/forum.clockworkpi.com/roberto_correia/32/11046_2.png) [@Roberto\_Correia](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/u/Roberto_Correia)\
**Post date:** [February 24, 2025, 11:14pm UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300/6 "2025-02-24T23:14:48Z")

</div>

I would try different sd cards I’ve been seeing that the uConsole is very picky with the cm5. The good news is at least the sound is working now.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Rex](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex029/user_avatar/forum.clockworkpi.com/rex/32/16852_2.png) [@Rex](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/u/Rex)\
**Post date:** [February 25, 2025, 12:11am UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300/7 "2025-02-25T00:11:26Z")

</div>

You have to be on a compatible image. If you’re not using this one already, it’s the one you need for the CM5 to work at all.

> [@Bookworm 6.6.y for the uConsole and DevTerm](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/bookworm-6-6-y-for-the-uconsole-and-devterm/13235):
>
> Don’t post in this thread, refer to this thread ! UPDATE: 6.6.78 Image Updated image, firmware, kernel, and tweaks to help the CM5 work better in the hardware. This image does not need any of the tweaks below. This image the FS will not auto expand, with people having problem with the sd card on the CM5 I thought best to leave it out for now. If you have problems with your sd card try adding sdhci.debug\_quirks2=4 to you cmdline.txt file. UPDATE: CM5 Audio Now Available! CM5 audio is here! Ker…

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![adcockm](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex029/user_avatar/forum.clockworkpi.com/adcockm/32/1664_2.png) [@adcockm](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/u/adcockm)\
**Post date:** [February 25, 2025, 12:19am UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300/8 "2025-02-25T00:19:54Z")

</div>

There have been lots of updates. None official, of course, but Rex has been making progress. It may never work 100% but it sounds like it’s mostly usable now (with the most compatible SD cards).

No telling what or when an official Clockwork response might look like. I wouldn’t be surprised if a new uConsole revision for CM5 was announced one day, or perhaps the uConsole will only ever officially support CM4, sort of like the Gameshell and Devterm only seeing a single release version (at least so far, but those have been around a lot longer so there’s even less hope, realistically.) Plus, since they already sort of announced they were working on that Pico device (with pictures), I think it’s less likely any kind of official uConsole work is also going on, but there’s really no way to know.

> [@Bookworm 6.6.y for the uConsole and DevTerm](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/bookworm-6-6-y-for-the-uconsole-and-devterm/13235):
>
> Don’t post in this thread, refer to this thread ! UPDATE: 6.6.78 Image Updated image, firmware, kernel, and tweaks to help the CM5 work better in the hardware. This image does not need any of the tweaks below. This image the FS will not auto expand, with people having problem with the sd card on the CM5 I thought best to leave it out for now. If you have problems with your sd card try adding sdhci.debug\_quirks2=4 to you cmdline.txt file. UPDATE: CM5 Audio Now Available! CM5 audio is here! Ker…

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![mattconn24](https://avatars.discourse-cdn.com/v4/letter/m/6f9a4e/32.png) [@mattconn24](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/u/mattconn24)\
**Post date:** [February 25, 2025, 4:05am UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300/9 "2025-02-25T04:05:16Z")

</div>

I went with the CM5 emmc version since it mostly doesn’t have issues with Rex’s port of bookworm and sound is working with the most recent release.

---

<div class="post-metadata">

**Author:** ![Roberto\_Correia](https://yyz1.discourse-cdn.com/flex029/user_avatar/forum.clockworkpi.com/roberto_correia/32/11046_2.png) [@Roberto\_Correia](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/u/Roberto_Correia)\
**Post date:** [March 13, 2025, 4:05am UTC](https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/should-i-get-a-cm4-or-cm5/15300/10 "2025-03-13T04:05:04Z")

</div>

I’m so glad I got the cm5! Everything is running great thanks to @Rex ! It starts up so fast and web browsing is not even a problem. I got the one with 8gb of memory and I don’t even think I’ve hit 2gb used. Im really loving this thing!
