ClockworkPI Emulated system

yet again… ugh windows entirely dumped. this is all now going to be designed on my debian machine. and I plan to get something that can be “prepackaged” so no one has to go through all this again. qemu works WAY better on debian. and I’ve already had a LOT more progress using it. I have a debian armhf build and i’m just building the kernel/etc to test on my ClockWorkPi (expect an update this week) and MASSIVE thanks to r043v. not only did his post help get the kernel built it also eluded to why I was having issues booting an existing CPI one in qemu. (see mkimage line)

I am brand new to ClockworkPi, would you be able to give a quick recap on what the exact goal and scope of this is?

I have worked plenty with things like Docker, Vagrant, VirtualBox, etc., but this is the first time I have encountered a situation where you cant just spin up an ISO in a virtual machine, or similar, and I am not yet entirely clear what the hurdles for that are in regards to ClockworkPi, would be great if there was a quick explanation of the situation. Thanks.

short version is i was looking to build a runnable version of CPI in qemu. the original that I backed said it would be doable with the existing kernel. I have not been able to get it to work at ALL which is why I think they never did finish it. its due to the “bus” setup they have. its not completely possible in qemu that I’ve been able to do. ive found NO way to get their kernel to boot and using a different one i can get a boot but not xorg. so currently r034v and I are working to get v0.3 running a 5.x kernel and tools but apparently of course r034v is way ahead of me as i can’t even get HIS compiled version to boot xwin on mine.

I am a little confused as to why ClockworkPi is not running a standard Linux kernel?

because a “standard linux kernel” is not a thing. they are ALWAYS tailored to the hardware they run on. and in this case they did not include anything along the lines of a PCI bus (because why would they) BUT qemu EXPECTS certain things (like video) to be on said bus.