Designing a Ext. Prototyping Breakout (With Raspberry Pi Hat Compatibility)

Haha, I’m not considering case mods yet! (at least anything that requires breaking or cutting the enclosure).

This should fit just fine without any mods. The Ext board hovers 5mm (on standoffs) above the orange translucent platform.

3 Likes

I think I’m about done with the breakout. Just need to finalize the proto board, and then I’ll be making a small batch order.

Anyone have color preferences? I was thinking of matching the black of the clockwork PCBs. This purple is looking pretty cool too.

4 Likes

thats pretty neat, but does that 5mm take a ribbon into consideration? if i can hook up a the usual ribbon to those headers and thread it out the case without chopping… wizardry!
and if thats the case… i may was well make an adapter to connect to an fpc adapter. that way one might make access more form factor, less obtrusive and possibly easier to get to and use while creating some layer of resilience

You should wait to have the thing in you hand before ordering PCB, I know they gave you the right dimensions, but there has been so many time I’ve ordered a PCB without doing proper check against reality and had to throw them because of that…

It is easy to make a small mistake that can make the while PCB useless

2 Likes

I appreciate your sensibility! On the other hand, last time I ordered a small batch of PCBs it wasn’t more than about $20 w/shipping. The most probable discrepancy would be alignment and fit within the enclosure. Even in this scenario the board could still be connected. It’s a small risk to order them ahead of time, but if they work we could start tinkering right await.

@Godzil could I send you one of these after I order them? If you’re in the states I’d gladly pay the postage.

2 Likes

Quick update on the Proto board design:

• made strip board area standard breadboard size
  • exposed traces on back side for easier cutting or jumping
  • shifted everything down a bit to remove need for breakaway standoffs
  • proto area is now detachable
  • added SMD footprint for 4-pin jst connect. Anyone into Quiic?
  • connected all 40-pin traces, so this board can work with a pi, not just in the devterm
  • improved pin breakout and legend

6 Likes

You are exactly what this community needs! I know it’s been said before, but I am also going to add myself to the “get this guy a cape” list.
You’re making me more excited for the devterm than I already am; and I’m sure I’m not the only one!

5 Likes

That means a lot, thanks @javelinface! Everyone here seems really cool and enthusiastic. I get the feeling that these forums are really going to blow up when the DevTerm gets shipped.

4 Likes

Let’s hope not :sweat_smile: :boom:

4 Likes

Quick update: finalized v0.1 for both the proto and breakout boards. I fixed hole spacing on the proto board (for the pi), and also added a halfway break-away line for when the board is being used with a bonnet. Also fixed and lined up pinout labels.

I’ve placed a small order and will post pics here when they arrive! (yep, first version is green)

7 Likes

Got another email from Clockwork with an updated PCB that includes a few extra details:

Download link: Ext_Module_PCB.dxf - Google Drive

Screenshots:

3 Likes

Got the first batch in hand! Everything looks pretty good. I’ll need to solder the headers on to better showcase a few orientations.

h

12 Likes

1 word. WOW!

Those look really good.

4 Likes

thinking about this now… i reckon i could wire up a tiny blower to a 5v and gnd and still actively cool the module while opening up gpio

Ah for sure! Also if you want to use the existing circuit and code to turn on/off the fan, you can use GPIO41 - that’s FAN_EN. Recreating the circuit looks easy, it’s just a mosfet I believe:
Screenshot from 2021-04-29 22-00-16

2 Likes

i was just thinking about wiring it up directly to 5v and Gnd on the breakout… lots of people seem to be complain about fan noise in relation to SBC kits… but I get bulk packs so maybe my fans and blowers are different/better quality? The only time i ever use a fan controller is on servers and desktops, so chances are if i swap in another blower, i’ll let it run 100% till the batts cut out. each fan on my bramble just blows with no controllers.

1 Like

there is also a good chance that i’ll be modding the back panel to slot in a gpio breakout (gpio to fpc) next to the blower above to original EXT and vent holes above the EXT blower and to the far side of the module. assuming, of course, there are no vents in the back panel.

1 Like

I’m not a fan!

hahaha…

Sorry for the joke

/me go back to sleep

3 Likes

Why doing that when there is explicitely a way to control it from the SoC? it’s clearly better than running it full time :slight_smile:

2 Likes

i do what i want?
shrugs
i intend on adding vent holes on the back pane. there is a good chance i’m gonna bond a heat plate to the module, too.
overkill? maybe… but also maybe only for now. If I can OC it… i probably will, just because I can, for kicks. I don’t do what normal people do… im not normal. so while i am fully aware there is control… i like to have enough to control to be able to toss some of it.

1 Like