Ordering uConsole now - what to read up on while waiting?

have you used Linux before? the only images (for now) that work with the uConsole are the ones provided by Clockwork. And they are not as beginner friendly as Linux Mint or Ubuntu as they’re based off a custom Debian image. I would recommend switching from LXDE/XFCE as the provided DE’s to a friendlier DE like Gnome, KDE, or Cinnamon. Cinnamon hasn’t impacted the performance of my CM4 unit.
so, if you’re not familiar with Linux, I’d recommend you download VirtualBox by Oracle (free to download https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) and Raspberry Pi OS 64-bit (Operating system images – Raspberry Pi) and spin up a virtual machine because that’s basically the Clockwork OS, but the Clockwork OS has a bunch of custom scripts/code for uConsole specific things so idk if using Clockworks OS will work in a VM.
Also, the uConsole comes with a 32gb SD card pre-installed with this image. You’ll have about 25gb of free space, which, up to you, might or might not be enough space.
In this thread people linked a few screen protectors that fit the uConsoles screen
Does anyone know of any screen protectors that are a near perfect fit for the screen size? - #7 by Arkaium
As well, in this thread people discussed carrying cases you can buy online for the uConsole.
Padded Carrying Case - #16 by pwborders
Based on the thread below the uConsole charges at around 15w. So a 5v 3a or greater phone charging brick as well as a quality USB-C cable should do. I have noticed my uConsole charges slowly no matter if im using my laptops 60w charger or a 15w phone charger. As noted in this thread, there was a power draw limit set in October but I don’t know if the uConsole still has this limit in place. It would be cool if someone with the proper power measuring equipment would make a new post on this.
uConsole: How Does Charging Work? - #33 by scyto

2 Likes