Request - BLACK Loading screen!

There are 2 splash screens upon booting up that you can edit via recompiling the kernel.

Here are a few links covering that.

http://www.articleworld.org/index.php/How_to_change_the_Linux_penguin_boot_logo

As for how to do it, the only way I’ve messed with it is by getting a fresh untouched kernel, and comparing it line by line with an existing one to see what has been added. Putting the bootsplash logos in is part of that process.

You can see where the kernel files etc are in the boot partition. Just for an example, you can change the boot logos with the files from this link:

One folder contains the stock white backgrounds from 0.5. The other contains a black background from the DEOT theme. Keep in mind, the files for the DEOT kernel don’t have the current Lima drivers properly enabled, since it’s based off of an older kernel.

There’s no simple drag and drop way to just add a boot splash image. You will need to know how to compile a kernel, or at least have a lot of time and patience to cross compare many lines of code. There are a lot of links and resources in the forums. I’ve been trying to do the opposite, pulling apart a compiled kernel to extract the boot images. It is my strong desire to use the stock DEOT splash images (black ones) on a current 0.5 5.4.6 kernel.

It’s like asking, “how do I swap out the milk chocolate chips in this cake with dark chocolate?” You need to know how to make a cake to begin with. And likewise, you can’t just pull apart a cake, and rip out all the chocolate chips, and insert a new one. It will all fall apart. It needs to be all done as one complete process.

The other splash screens are found in

/home/cpi/skins/$SKINNAME/sys.py/gameshell/wallpaper

and

/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/gameshell/wallpaper

They are as follows:
desktopbg.jpg (the blueprint wallpaper seen when in hdmi mode)
gameover.png
loading.png
seeyou.png
updating.png

What skin are you using? Most of the dark ones should contain dark versions of the above files. For now you could just extract the above files from an existing skin, and insert them into yours. Alternatively, just load up the png files in your favourite image editing software and run a colour filter on it, then replace the existing ones. I can probably snap something up quickly now based on the stock images.

1 Like