Skin Development!

you can found instruction to flash the u-boot binary to the sd here > https://github.com/clockworkpi/Kernel/tree/master/v0.4

for dump u-boot bin from original image, it must fit between offset 8k and 1M, unknown size but it must be found from uboot header, maybe binwalk could help you identify it

directly patch kernel binary is not easy, i was write program to made this some months ago but it lack of repackaging things after the patch, kernel is compressed and there is validity check,

so recompile it or use a tool to show a splash after boot is the best and easiest way

2 Likes

Thanks heaps for the link! I had no idea there were actually tutorials/write ups on GitHub! I’ll have to wait till I get an environment set up, but this is a good push in the right direction. :slight_smile:

1 Like

there is some info on linux-sunxi website
Bootable SD card - linux-sunxi.org
U-Boot - linux-sunxi.org

i never check but deot os must have same partitioning as clockwork os,
if it is you may try just dump first megabyte of their image and write it upon your own image

with commands like that :

dd if=deot.img of=dump.bin bs=1M count=1

dd conv=notrunc if=dump.bin of=youros.img bs=1M count=1

on second thing, the uboot sunxi page will show you how generate boot.scr file,
open your current one with a text editor, you will see at start config as plain text, copy conf to a new file, make your edit and use mkimage to regenerate a new boot.scr

you can add logo.nologo to kernel parameter to remove the initial splash display

you may check arch boot.scr for an alternative way, who could also boot zImage directly.

2 Likes

Knowing where to look is a real help!
I never thought to just dump the first megabyte. It’s reminding me of my video editing days, dumping the headers of files to fix corruption.

You’ve definitely demystifies the nature of kernel development, and made this seem more feasible than expected. The game shell is all about learning after all.

This probably is a valid discussion in this thread, since it is technically about skin development.

1 Like