Any hardware upgrades I can buy for my gameshell?

any new hardware upgrades for the gameshell? I was wonder if i could upgrade the battery or motherboard. Leave a comment if you have any personal upgrades i might like.

I really want a 40% keyboard module, but that has been discussed (at length) in another thread. Assuming that existed, I’d also quite like to be able to swap the printer module with an RGB LED matrix, that can be used as blinkenlights for emulating old systems, and just for status lights and stuff like that.

I doubt I’d ever have a good use for the printer, but would use blinkenlights all the time.

There is a light key cording keyboard code mod somewhere around here

hey i appreciate your guys responses i apologize for never commenting back, i go mia once in a while here. still playing on my clockwork pi lol

Gameshell idea is a good form of packaging, there is a modernized modular concept to let you modify and assemble.

However, I think Gameshell has become an old fashioned handheld retro consoles, or maybe Gameshell was not aimed to be a good retro emulator at the first place. A LOT of work is required before you can run your device a little bit smoother but it still crashes unexpectedly, the power consumption is terrible anyway.

To be honest, I switch to ANBERNIC because they produce a way better retro consoles with cheaper prices. Two main reasons:

1. You can skip all the programming to get backlight/volume control every time everywhere.
    → It is VERY basic but I dont really buy it such that we have to implement it ourselves. The Gameshell itself costs 159.99 USD without discount…

2. You can skip all the tedious file management to get your game ROM and cheat lists.
    → I just dont get it, why making the file management such horrible…

The Gameshell can do more than play games though, since it’s a little linux computer. It’s not very powerful, but it’s like having an older Raspberry Pi so you could run a web server or other things.

Some of the gaming focused devices like Ambernic devices run linux too, but they don’t make it easy to hack around and do your own thing with them. Many don’t even let you do package updates, etc.

The Gameshell is definitely not just a device just for playing games, and you can get something cheaper and more powerful if you just want that. The screen is unique and the controls are quite good for such a device though. I think it’s meant for hobbyist/developer/tinkerer/hackers who also might want to play games. At least, that’s what I think I am, and I’ve enjoyed using it. :slight_smile: