GameShell for Pygame dev

Hi there! I am starting to learn PyGame and I guess that gameshell is a very interesting platform to hone my skills. For now I have understood how can I access gameshell via ssh however I would like to start my scripts on gameshell directly without being connected.

Is there any guide here how can I access linux terminal (for example) to run .py scripts?

Thank you!

1 Like

The launcher use PyGame, so it will definitely work.

As for remote access, nothing special need to be, just make sure it is connected to wifi, and connect using SSH.

the “tinycloud” thingy option will show you the current IP address

1 Like

Oh, thanks a lot Godzil, for the rapid answer!

Yes, sure I can enter my gameshell environment via ssh - I know how to do it.
Say, I write some code on gameshell and then I stop my putty and would like to launch the .py script on gameshell itself.

Normally I must have a sort of access to a terminal window to be able to browse to the location where my script is (using cd command), right?

However, how am I suppose to open the terminal window? Did not find this option in TynyCloud…

Thanks!

TinyCloud is just the “app” that show the IP address of your gameshell, there is nothing really about it.

If you want your app to continue running, there is only two ways on the Gameshell:

The first is in command line, using screen to make sure your app is not going to stop once you disconnected from the terminal.

The second is to make the launcher to recognise your app and add it to the launcher icon menu.

There is no terminal window access directly on the device (at least not in gameshell mode, using HDMI keyboard and mouse there is one)

Hello Mitya-T,

What I have done to get a terminal native on the game shell is to connect a Bluetooth keyboard and then open a new shell with Ctl + Alt + F2-F7. Then to get back to the gameshell launcher use Alt + F1.

1 Like

one reason i have bluetooth keyboards :wink:

The concept here is very straightforward, you need create a symbolic link for you game’s executable file, and put it into a designated folder where gameshell will looking into and put the icons on the screen.
I’ve done that only a couple times, and apologize that I cannot give you straight answer for your question now, since I don’t have my gameshell available now.

Ah, ok - looks like that’s exactly what I need right now. If you find your GameSH - would you be so kind to guide me later? Thanks in advance!