clockworkpi

How to add icons on the homescreen that link to emulators?

WOW! Congrats dude! Could you share how to make it, please? :smiley:

@Serj_Targarien He made some custom icons for the emulators.

My menu looks like this now DSC01173

Tomorrow I’ll show you how to do it

1 Like

video with menu structure and start of Galaga with just one click

3 Likes

Cool ! Great job ! Looking forward to the how to… currently struggling and thinking i am making a stupid mental mistake

1 Like

Thank you VERY MUCH! I think can I help the community making some funky icons for the people <3 <3 <3

1 Like

Here it i…can’t sleep because of the heat :slight_smile:

STEP 1:
Make a new file in:

/home/cpi/apps/launcher/Menu/GameShell

and name that eg.:

Galaga.sh

then edit that file and put this command line in:
retroarch -L /home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores/fb_alpha_libretro.so /home/cpi/games/MAME/galaga.zip

In my example I use the: fb_alpha_libretro.so core to play GALAGA…
GALAGA is located in the folder:

/home/cpi/games/MAME/galaga.zip

Hope this explanes the commandline so everybody can use it with there own favorite games

STEP 2:
make an icon for the launch menu and place that in :

/home/cpi/apps/launcher/skin/default/Menu/GameShell

Name it (in my example given) Galaga.png

Hope it works for everybody…

10 Likes

We’ve added a #design channel to the GameShell Discord Server. Everyone who is designing new icons is welcome to join the conversation there. ^^ Here’s an invite to the channel if anyone is interested. https://discord.gg/YH2r3vw

It would be cool if Clockwork could make a wiki so a topic like this could turn into a proper guide so other users can learn how to add these themselves.

2 Likes

@DisruptItYourself You´re right, I think this part is totally necesary!

I make my first shortcut and icon for the menu and its works thanks to @Sammie <3

YES! Wiki, it’s a good idea, do you like github’s wiki?

1 Like

Yes @hal I do! Might as well keep it all in one place. That way they can be connected to files and pull requests, etc.

@Sammie would you like to take a wack at it? You pretty much already wrote it and others can add to it. It would be a good starting point. I can then test it and make sure your instructions work and maybe add some images or something.

More icons! Can I put anywhere if someone wants to set up in his system!

2 Likes

Ive already started digging into how we can do the same things for folders and it looks pretty easy. Thanks to @Sammie for writing the wiki post. It’s too bad the wiki pages are on a repository level and can’t be accessed from the Project. That means more digging for people unfamiliar with GitHub.

But anyway… it seems all we need to do is

1. add a folder to launcher/Menu/GameShell/20_Retro Games/ example SNES
  2. in that folder create a file called action.config
  3. in that file it should contain:

ROM=/home/cpi/games/[FOLDER-WITH-COMPATIBLE-ROMS]
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/[DESIRED-CORE-TO-USE]
EXT=[EXTENSIONS-COMPATIBLE-WITH-CORE] ie zip,sfc,smc
LAUNCHER=retroarch -L
TITLE=[Title to display by Launcher]
SO_URL=http://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armhf/latest/[NAME_OF_EMULATOR].so.zip

1. Then place your thumbnail in launcher/skin/default/Menu/GameShell/20_Retro Games/
8 Likes

We have the discord of the community and there is a design channel if you want :slight_smile:
https://discord.gg/HTa52uf

Oh gawd thank you, this is what we need! (if we make this, the folders can appear like a circle icon but once inside we can make square icons for each game :stuck_out_tongue:

Could you please, put a real example code of one folder dedicated to snes emulator from retroarch (with 3 roms inside of this folder) to see more clearly for my side? (sorry for my ignorance)

20180725_131608

Check it out!!

(file upload limits are crazy, sorry)

2 Likes

I have done this, but it keeps asking me download cores again and again.

Can you show me your command line AND your exact location of the core you’re directing too?

2 Likes

Could you please put the original lines for SNES folder? No matter if you folder structure are different from us! But I want to see what Im doing wrong hahahahaha

Thank you man!