Adding Shortcuts to "Retro Games" on Clockork Menu

Hello all,
This is a guide of sorts (if this has been done before I apologize; it did not come up in search). I just spent a bit of time adding a Sega Game Gear section to my retro games folder for easy access without having to load a core from retroarch every time and I thought I would share my knowledge.

Before we begin, and to keep the guide from being ridiculously long; I assume you already know how to do the following.

• SSH into your gameshell
  • Download cores from retroarch
  • Copy files from your computer to your gameshell

Now, assuming you have all three of the bullet points above checked off; let’s get into the guide which will add a sega game gear emulator option to your retro games menu. However, the steps are basically the same for adding any emulator core to the menu so feel free to follow along. Also, for your convenience I will provide a config file and an icon for you to use in case you just want the game gear folder. I will also be dissecting the config file in the post itself in case you’d rather just create the config on your device.

link to config file + image: http://www.teragentech.net/downloads/ggear.zip
NOTE: You can also just download this straight to your gameshell by sshing into it and running wget http://www.teragentech.net/downloads/ggear.zip if you just want the game gear stuff and don’t want your own icon.

Finally, before starting the guide; mandatory disclaimer to only use this emulator if you already own the roms you will be using as anything else is piracy and is bad.

1. Open retroarch and download the gearsystem core (or whatever core you want to download)
  2. SSH into your pi and from the home directory navigate to /home/cpi/.config/retroarch/cores
  3. copy gearsystem_libretro.so to /home/cpi/apps/emulators
  4. navigate to /home/cpi/apps/launcher/Menu/Gameshell/20_Retro\ Games
  5. make a new directory (mkdir GGEAR) for your emulator
  6. inside the directory you created, create a file called action.config.
  7. Either copy one of the action.config files from one of the other emulator folders or copy the action.config from my link above.
  8. Modify the action.config with your desired settings.
  9. Navigate to /home/cpi/apps/launcher/skin/default/Menu/GameShell/20_Retro\ Games
  10. copy either the .png file i gave you or whatever png file you want to appear in the retro games menu for your emulator icon. it should be noted that you need to name your .png file whatever you named your emulator folder back in step 5. e.g. if you named your folder SNES, your icon needs to be named SNES.png
  11. exit the ssh session by typing exit and reboot your GameShell. you should be able to see your new icon under the retro games section (you may have to scroll with left or right) and if you click on the icon you should be brought to a menu similar to the other emulators preloaded.

action.cfg

ROM=/home/cpi/games/SEGA
ROM_SO=/home/cpi/apps/emulators/gearsystem_libretro.so
EXT=md,gg
LAUNCHER=retroarch -L
TITLE=GGEAR Roms
SO_URL=https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/x86_64/2018-10-01_cores/gearsystem_libretro.so.zip

Most of this is pretty self-explanatory; the title is the title that displays when you boot into the emulator menu so you can put whatever you want here. The only thing I’m not sure about is the SO_URL. I went ahead and found a link to the zip and pasted it there and that site had a lot of the other cores there but I’m not sure if that link is just for update purposes or if it actually does something under the hood.

I really hope this guide helps people and if I missed anything or anyone has any trouble following the steps please feel free to comment