Let’s play Pokemon MMO - WIP

Okay! So my Devterm has arrived.
I decided to revive this little project again. (2 years later haha!) Looks like it just works without much tinkering at all! I used the stock Armbian install that came with the Devterm.

Here’s what I did. I’ll keep it brief:

1. Go to https://pokemmo.eu/ to register an account

2. Get the files with sudo apt install pokemmo-installer

3. An entry in the drop down applications menu will have been made in “Applications/Games/PokeMMO Installer”. Run that, and it will set up and update what you need.

4. Exit after it loads up. You’ll need to source a bunch of rom images, and put them in the directory /home/cpi/.local/share/pokemmo/roms/
    I’m pretty sure you can name them anything, and the client will auto detect them. You also should be able to specify which directory to search, but that didn’t work for me.

5. I actually do own physical copies of all of the above, and if anyone really wants to see them I can post a picture. I dumped all of my Roms myself, so can’t offer any advice on where to get them from.
    Either way, you might need to get them onto your Devterm somehow. I used a micro SD to USB adaptor to copy them over from my gameshell installation. Unfortunately it wasn’t detected as it was plugged in. You’ll need to mount it if that’s the case for you.
    I won’t provide a step by step tutorial to do that, but here’s a link that will! How to Mount a USB Drive in Debian

6. Load up there client again. All of the Roms should be detected, and assets loaded up. Log in with your details from step 1. If you’ve made an account before, you’ll need to verify the new device via email. It took me a few attempts, restarting and verifying again to get it working, but it eventually will send the email.

7. If you want to use the Devterm dpad (you really do) you’ll need to set it to a keybord mode.
    Here’s a brilliant post showing you just how to do that.
    Using Gamepad arrows and buttons in command line apps - #2 by Godzil
    Look carefully at the number, as dip switch 2 is on the left. I found that our through trial and error! From here, just map your keys to whatever you want in the options.

8. Done! That should be all you really need to do.
    Or maybe not. Another thing I have done in general to my interface of the Devterm is change the display scale to 1.5x. A lot of dialogue boxes are too big for the stock 1x scale, and you can’t access the bottom half. This solved it.
    You can find the option to change it in the dropdown “Applications/Settings/Display”
    Here’s what I changed:

Finally, here’s a small video of PokeMMO running. Much better than it was on the Gameshell. The wider screen, keyboard and mouse actually make it playable!

1 Like