Required tools for assembly

Does anyone recommend I pick up any particular tools or anything like that to have to hand? Did you need anything in particular for the game shell?

Hello geckdeco
The only tool I needed for the gameshell was a diagonal cutter to take off some excess plastic left on some of the parts after breaking them out the holder. I believe the devterm is designed in a similar manner. The gameshell comes apart easily by removing two wheels on the side that hold it together. No tools required.

model/sprue cutters and possibly a lil screwdriver?

1 Like

A good pair of side cutter, maybe a file or a burr to clean the cut and that should be basically it.

The gameshell need no screwdriver or any other tools, pretty sure the DT will be the same.

2 Likes

if you are confident with your hands, you may just need a cutter. Patience and cutter.

Yeah, I agree when I assembled my GS, it took me a while to get rid of the plastic leftover on the edges.

1 Like

looks like a pair of small slotted M2 screws? so a lil plastic card or a cheap lil junk flathead that comes with SBC or tech repair kits.

So with the release of the final (beta?) of the build instruction, a screw driver will be needed. though I’m not sure the type, they show a flat, but that’s weird, who use flat screw nowadays?

As some don’t want to be spoiled for the building instruction I’ve put the images in the spoiler tag.

The screws:

Where to put them:

Spoiler warning: the manual on github: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/clockworkpi/DevTerm/main/Clockwork_DevTerm_Assembly_Guidelines.pdf

1 Like

yeah, i agree… i also thought it was weird to have something thats typically something like an M2 but slotted… in fact I cant recall ever seeing a slotted screw in laptops even… different size phillips maybe… but most tech is all star points. no one uses flat heads except maybe bigger shop type projects…

Alright so far I’m picking up (no affliction or endorsement) 4 Panasonic NCR 18650B’s and the TAMIYA Sharp Pointed Side Cutter. I’ve got plenty of screwdrivers. Hopefully my house doesn’t burn down, nor my fingers get cut off.

1 Like

I must admit. I’m rather impressed to see others shooting for cells rated for general electronics and not standard go-to-fan-fave vape cells. them san/pan NCRs are super sweet!

Never bought these sort of batteries before. I went with Panasonic mainly because I’ve heard of them before. I’m getting the A04 series, if I can get 3-4 hours of life that would be plenty for my use case, then I can swap for a full days worth of use. Also decided to get a battery holder (recommend in another thread) and a 256gb sd card so I’m ready to go. The SD card I can recommend, the select ones come direct from the manufacturer so you don’t end up with fakes.

2 Likes

I ended up getting me 200gb sandisk ultra to dedicate for this purpose. First thing ima do before i even break out parts is make a back up image of the CWOS card so if it gets corrupted i can just flash it… those holders are REALLY nice! i dont have a storacell brand. mine are the magic case holders. heavier and sturdier but eh spring arm that holds to cells in place can be sharp enough to cut the thin cheap stock wrappers on the cells… which can be really bad news. Which is why I normally peel them off anyway and slide on a clear 30mm pvc heat shrink tube, which is much sturdier and more resilient.

1 Like