A04 devterm/armbain software compile question

Hello everyone! I have a question. Devterm A04 setup with A04_v0.1a image, works beautifully.
*** I know it is not the latest image *** but the reason I’m using it is to see if I can get image compilation going. This is to help me understand what is happening where how etc. Then once I have it in a working state to try and move things over to Jammie. I tried the new/current armbian build script on A04_v0.2h (and on the f image) but it does not support the A04 module, only the A06 and for some reason didn’t like Jammie.

So far I have success in compiling Hirsute hippo kernel and uboot for the A04! yay, only took 6 hours the first time (native compilation ftw). subsequent compilations took ~15 to 20 mins. Now on to the problem. When I try to compile a full xfce desktop image the script first warn me :

update-binfmts: warning: qemu-arm not in database of installed binary formats.
update-binfmts: exiting due to previous errors
update-binfmts: warning: qemu-aarch64 not in database of installed binary formats.
update-binfmts: exiting due to previous errors

then later fails as it is not able to read or write to the image rootfs. (create_rootfs_cache command not found).

update-binfmts --display

shows me a whole heap of installed “formats” none of which is qemu-arm. The closest is qemu-armeb.
I am not able to find a “explain-to-me-like-a-five-year-old-non-programmer” on my websearches how to install/import or enable qemu-arm.

I’ve been going at it one error at a time, googling and implementing fixes as i go. Please correct me if i’m wrong but does this mean it is not able to create a rootfs image and work in it/update etc in that image?

Any hints or tips would be greatly appreciated. Note that I plan to write up the whole process stepwise once I’ve gotten it working. That way eveyone with a Devterm A04 would benefit from being able to compile own kernel, uboot, different desktop environments.

1 Like