Can I turn auto-login off?

I made a new user account on my A04 - didn’t want to use the cpi account and don’t fancy messing around with changing the name and so on, because it’s been a looong time (like ten years) since I did anything serious Linux. Except there doesn’t appear to be a way to prevent it starting a session logged in as cpi.

Is there a conf or script I can edit to have it run the graphical login instead of just automatically logging me in as cpi?

Thanks.

look here:

1 Like

I’ve seen that, but it’s not what I want. What I’m after is for it to boot to a login screen instead of to cpi’s desktop. Then I’ll just remove (or hide) the cpi account. I’ve already made a new account for myself and I specifically want to have to enter my password in order to log in.

Remove /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d/12-autologin.conf

I removed that and rebooted but it did it anyway - logged me straight back in as cpi. Then, experimentally, I put the file back and changed the contents to autologin to the account I created and rebooted again, and it’s still logging in as cpi when I boot.

It looks like it might be going by uid, as it’s specifying uid 1000 before indicating the name. I’m tempted to logout of cpi and edit /etc/passwd to swap the uids round to see what happens.

Edit: I did just that and now it’s wanting to login as uid 1001 (cpi’s uid now after swapping), though it appears to have hung.

Edit 2: definitely hung, only thing it’ll respond to is a three-finger salute. Looks like I’ll have to rewrite the OS image on the SD card.

Edit 3: I fixed /etc/passwd after remembering I have an ext3 fs driver on my main desktop and edited it back. But now I’m back to autologging in as cpi, haha.

Ah, you’re right, I was fooled. We should change /etc/gdm3/custom.conf instead.
I thought we’re using lightdm, but actually we’re using gdm3 (I don’t know why lightdm is also installed, though, and we even have a custom config for it).

1 Like

No worries. I went back and looked at the guide stefan linked, and it did exactly what I wanted to. I should have listened.

1 Like

I just created an entirely separate user for myself and deleted the cpi user. Did the trick here :smiley: