Can't boot freshly compiled kernel?

Hi, folks! I’m new to the GameShell (just got mine a couple weeks ago) and I’m having a blast - installing nostalgic games, playing the new indie stuff, etc. I am very impressed with the quality of the parts and the way it feels in my hands after assembly. But I am having some trouble installing a new kernel…

I found in another thread that this (GitHub - asypost/clockwork-pi3-kernel at v5.4.36) is the kernel on the current run of GameShell. I’m uncertain how the kernel is configured since it didn’t come with a .config file. The default configuration compiles significantly smaller than the shipped kernel, and the newly-compiled kernel won’t boot the GameShell (I suppose this could be because I really am not sure how to put the new kernel in the image - I’ve mounted the image with mount clockworkos_v0.5.img part1 -o loop,offset=4194304 and copied a new uImage over the existing uImage.)

Anyway, have I overlooked some instructions somewhere on the right way to build and install the kernel?

Thanks!

P.S. Is the Discord server still on? If so, is it possible to get a valid invite?