Changing Compute Module on uConsole

Hi.

The uConsole will be my entry into Linux, so I am quite at the beginning of my journey. Ordered a black uConsole with the CM4-Lite 4 GB RAM and WiFi/4g end last October and have since learned that the 90 working days are a tad of a stretch.

To shorten the time, I have since acquired an additional CM4, this time a 8 GB RAM and with 32 GB MMC and WiFi. Because yolo. Question: When I receive the uConsole (fingers crossed), will I be able to build it straight away with the bigger CM4 and the provided OS?

Look for other references to the mmc in forums. I did the same thing and then ordered a CM4-lite 8GB w/o the mmc

Seems that the mmc requires you to flash from another computer and kills the micro SD slot. I have flashed from a different computer before but it is just easier to build your image and load using the Micro SD. Find an old laptop and download some Linux iso’s and play for a while. make for good practice and the laptop can be junker for the most part.

db

1 Like

:slight_smile: ot plenty of time!:slight_smile:

I am running the uConsole with the 8G RAM and 32 G eMMC with WiFi. Works great. You do need to use that I/O board from Raspberry Pi to program the eMMC, but after that it is really fast and runs well. Same OS works on both SD and eMMS.

3 Likes

That’s pity can not have the SD and emmc the same time, I’m wondering if it is possible to install a kill switch to select what media to use, also can apply to the wifi, BT and 4G ?

It’s a limitation of the CM4, unfortunately. On the lite version there are contacts for an SD card that are occupied on the version with eMMC.

It’s a hassle to set up but the eMMC will be much faster than an SD card.

Right, eMMC is not only faster but also more reliable than SD. I got a couple bad cards from cell phone use, but never had a problem with internal storage, SD was not designed to be used as an internal drive in the first place. If the SD and eMMC share the same bus, it may be possible to install additional driver h/w to select which one to use, of course we will need a power reset to make the change. Even better if we can boot from USB and write to the SD, this is easier said than done I know !

1 Like

Hi! I tried to boot from USB (without any changes), but it doesn’t work. Any suggestions?