CPI Kernel Source

Is the source for the CPI kernel, bootloader, etc. available? There’s a Github repo which looks like it is supposed to contain the kernel source (and others for the bootloader, Bluetooth driver, etc.) but they contain only binaries + LICENSE + README.md.

I Kickstarted the CPI with the intent of doing bare-metal hacking, but I’ve been unable to because I haven’t been able to come by the official source code (to use as a reference) or hardware docs. Frankly I’m pretty frustrated by the state of information available to the customer, especially since the Kickstarter advertised it as an “Open Source Retro Gaming & STEM Portable Console” — so far it does not seem to be open source.

1 Like

Hi! Thanks for your support!
In the GitHub repo, this following patch with linux_4_14 will provide kernel source code.

Cross compiler:
gcc-linaro-7.2.1-2017.11-x86_64_arm-linux-gnueabihf

Compilation process:
cp ./arch/arm/configs/clockworkpi_cpi3_defconfig .config
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x40008000 -e 0x40008000 -n "Linux kernel" -d arch/arm/boot/zImage uImage

We do not provide source code for bootloader because our supplier (Allwinner Technology) have not provided source code for that yet. We will try to provide source code as much as possible, but chip suppliers may have commercial/legal reason for not providing code, we are hoping things will change given time.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply; I appreciate it a lot! Here’s hoping things improve on the bootloader front, but you’re right that the patch is most of what I was looking for.

1 Like

Any update on this? Looks like that is possible to use UEFI in u-boot even in the device do not support it [1]. The good thing about this is that this will enable GRUB as a boot loader, and with it a lot of good stuff, but so far I am not able to compile u-boot for the gameshell.

[1] https://www.suse.com/media/article/UEFI_on_Top_of_U-Boot.pdf

1 Like