DevTerm: Replacing the trackball

Hi folks,

Before I do something “daft” am I correct in believing that in order to replace the trackball (https://a.aliexpress.com/_mNFyrDC) I need to unscrew the 20+ screws on the back of the keyboard unit ?

Best wishes,

Tom

@thwill so did you have to take the screws out? Mine just came in the mail and I want to know if you had to take them out.

@Rex, I haven’t done it yet (I’d quite like to enjoy it for a while before I screw it up :wink: ), but you apparently do have to unscrew the lot:

When I do so I intend to take photos and post them here for posterity.

Best wishes,

Tom

I’m going to tackle it tonight. I’ll update here how it goes. The new track ball feels so much better rolling just in my fingers, hope it works as good as it feels.

Took about 5 minutes to do. Just don’t flip the keyboard over after you remove the PCB. The keys are loose. Feels a lot better then the original one, not as noisy and more responsive especially for small movements.
Looks better too!

Now I have to order a another one for my uConsole when I get it.

Thanks for blazing the trail @Rex, I have replaced mine now and it is an 100% improvement over the stock trackball :smiley: .

Alas I was so pleased with myself for not getting the key-caps and screws all over the floor that I forgot all about taking a picture of the internals … maybe next time.

Best wishes,

Tom

1 Like