Hirsute went offline late July 2022, how to manage?

Hello. I have not posted to this forum in a long time. I first wish to apologize for my former behavior and the manner in which I composed myself earlier in the year after discovering a major security vunribility. There were better ways to handle that, and I did not follow them. Earlier in the year I was a nervous wreck. Things are much better now for my own situation and I am very sorry for my outrage.

Now that the blog post is over…

I have been doing an audit of all my prepper tech, and my Clockwork Pi was one of the things in which I was checking up. I ran an apt-upgrade which lead me to this thread. I have followed @arru’s advice, but this lead to the issue reported by @Daeraxa that the screen does not work. However, the problem is not that simple. For me, the screen backlight turns on but there is no boot. It is not simply dark to the point of not being able to be seen. Second, I have concluded the device is not booting period due to an inability to log back in via SSH. As such I have no access to a terminal in the system.

It is my speculation that this issue may be caused by conflict in package version. The previous system was using Hirsuit, then all I did was change the sources.list* files to be Index of /ubuntu The full list of packages that apt upgraded before this issue is as follows (under the command apt update; apt upgrade -y; do-release-upgrade in a superuser terminal)

armbian-config armbian-firmware-full armbian-hirsute-desktop-xfce
devterm-first-start-a04 devterm-thermal-printer linux-dtb-current-sunxi64
linux-headers-current-sunxi64 linux-image-current-sunxi64 linux-libc-dev

The unrelated package fonts-noto-cjk was also installed for the first time, as part of the Chromium repositiory.

The command do-release-upgrade produced the following error afterwards:

You have not rebooted after updating a package which requires a reboot. Please reboot before upgrading.

I sent the reboot command to the SSH session and it did reboot, then the issue presented itself. I had believed the system froze so I tried to hard-shutdown with the physical button, then removed the batteries and tried again. No fix.

I see that @guu has provided a beta disk image based on the latest version of Armbian, but as I have installed a number of non-default packages to the system, as well as went through the trouble of encypting my /home/cpi directory, I don’t wish to try this out just yet. I may have to reflash though if I am unable to even boot, though I could edit conf from the SD card on another machine. I don’t understand how such an issue could occur on such a minor change. The kernel upgrade may have contributed, I am unsure.

For all I know the screen is just black, it is working, and I can’t SSH because networking connects after login. I try to open a TTY but am unable. I see nothing whatsoever except the screen’s lllumination.

Also recall my own observation for an observed Kernel Framebuffer Error that was never fully explored. Possibly related?