How to add icons on the homescreen that link to emulators?

SNES MGBA

1 Like

Good afternoon, I tried these steps but it gets on the loading screen infinitely ā€¦ after deleting the file action.config it returns to normal ā€¦ can it help? thank you.

paste your action.config?

ROM = / home / cpi / games / SNES
ROM_SO = / home / cpi / apps / emuladores / snes9x_libretro.so
EXT = zip, sfc, smc
LAUNCHER = retroarch -L
TITLE = SNES
SO_URL = http: //buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armhf/latest/ snesx2005_libreto.so.zip

ROM = / home / cpi / games / SNES <- space between / and home ,and cpi ?

Sorry for speaking Portuguese BR did not understand your question ā€¦ I have a space between the bar and the folders (name) I have to take out the spaces? would it be this ? thank you.

Good afternoon, I managed to solve the problem of not starting ā€¦ but when selecting the game the screen turns black and returns to the list of games ā€¦ anyone have a suggestion? I can only play by entering the retroach, choosing the core ā€¦ and then the game ā€¦

I managed ā€¦ I put the emulator in the emulators folder the correct version of snes9x 2005 and everything ok, now Iā€™m going to change the icon to the correct snes icon. thank you.

1 Like

hey tnalvo,

great that you found a solution to your problem. In *nix filesystems (CPI is based on Debian) there are no spaces when referring to files or directories.

If you have to access a file that does have a space in the name, enclose it with quotes.

Like:
ROM=/home/cpi/games/SNES/ā€œSuper Mario Etc Etcā€

1 Like

Good morning friend, yes as I am newbie had not understood, thanks for the tip, now I will try to install PS1 emulator.

Hi there -

I appreciate the email, but in the future, please ask me questions in
the forum - so that other members of the Clockwork community can learn
as well. Just like you, I am a customer and do not have all the answers.

For the ā€œCoinā€ button in MAME you can use the inbuilt settings in CPI
MAME

thread here:

In short: they say that you cannot really pick your own combination of
buttons, but have to select what is there in the menus of MAME. In my
own Clockwork I use the button ā€œSELECTā€ to insert a coin in MAME

hope this helps -

CM

1 Like

yo you the best got my megaman battlenetwork icon up and running cuz of you

Sorry, not sure if this has been posted. But is there a way to link a game icon on the home screen to the emulator folder with the game files in it (like the Retro Games icon)? For example, if I wanted a Pokemon folder to directly link to a folder with those games in it. I figured out how to get the icon on the home screen, but Iā€™m not sure how to get the emulator in the folder.

I think I get what you mean. Instead of having all of your gba Roms in a folder, you just want PokƩmon, and want the folder to be on the main menu with a custom icon?

The post above gave a great tutorial. Just make a note of what you name your folder, where it is, and whatā€™s inside.

1 Like

Can I get these same command steps for sega

Hey, welcome to the forums @Christian_Robinson!
I notice you deleted your comment. Possibly because you worked it out? Or perhaps were trying to articulate it easier. Either way. Hereā€™s a small step by step way to show you how to do what you want. You can substitute PokĆ©mon with whatever you want.

1. Make a directory called Pokemon
  2. Make a file file called Pokemon.sh within the above mentioned directory
  3. Edit the contents to look like this:
retroarch -L /home/cpi/apps/emulators/mgba_libretro.so  /home/cpi/games/MGBA/pokemon.gba
  1. Add your desired icon to the same directory you saved the Pokemon.sh file, and name it Pokemon.png

Step 3 might need to be adjusted according to where you have things located.

Frustratingly, the Retroarch cores are stored in ~/apps/emulators by default. The location that you have put is a far more logical location. Itā€™s where I personally have it set to in my own custom image.

That said, it doesnā€™t matter where Retroarch specifies the core directory is in the config. You define where it is with the script you make. Just make sure there is a file where your script says there should be one, and that the name is correct.

Say youā€™re not wanting to use the mgba core, and instead want to use the gpsp standalone emulator.
Also, say youā€™re trying with a different rom, with the name ā€œMother 3 Eng.gbaā€
And also, say you have altered the directory structure. Hereā€™s what your Mother 3.sh file would look like.

/home/cpi/apps/emulators/gpsp /home/cpi/games/GBA/Mother\ 3\ Eng.gba

Notice how you donā€™t need to have another program, followed by an -L parameter like you originally tried.
Spaces in file names need to be differentiated from spaces between commands, as seen above, using a back slash \

Another thing I just realised. If you are using the mgba that gets downloaded via the action.config file, you may want to delete the mgba_libretro.so core, and edit the MGBA action.config to have SO_URL=https://buildbot.libretro.com/nightly/linux/armv7-neon-hf/latest/mgba_libretro.so.zip
It needs to be updated, as the stock location isnā€™t the correct one. That could potentially be another reason mgba isnā€™t loading. That said, Iā€™m guessing you can use mgba normally.

Hopefully this works for you!

1 Like

on fantasti launcher all of this is natively supported, roms of a system are not associated with a folder, but opened independently depending of their file type,

thatā€™s mean you just organize them as you want,
by example you could create a mario folder with all roms of all platform inside

3 Likes

Thank you so much for reaching out! I got it to work at like 6 am or something and deleted the comments. Iā€™m not sure what did it Iā€™ll have to check again. I added something like #!/bash or something and it worked! Im going to make more icons to go with my dark mode theme im working on. Iā€™m a noob to coding but I can make artwork so im trying to learn. Thank you for reaching out. Clockworkpi gameshell has been a good project for me.

Thatā€™s so strange, given the # means the line was commented out! Also, donā€™t feel bad for leaving things up that you have worked out. Chances are someone else probably wanted to ask the same question. Even just putting an edit fo say youā€™ve worked it out is just as useful. :blush:
Im excited to hear about the dark mode skin youā€™re making!! Iā€™m a huge fan of not having my eyeballs burned by bright UIs.
Thereā€™s some great info on how to tinker with colour parameters here:

And if you google ā€œcolour pickerā€, google has a tool available to easily convert RGB colours you use in photoshop etc to the hex values required by the gameshell.
And haha I know what you mean, working on things till 6am. Iā€™ve been doing it way too much lately. That awkward feeling, getting into bed, while your significant other is just waking up to go to work. The curse of the gameshell.

1 Like

I made the [Rom Name].sh file in this directory:

Home/cpi/launcher/menu/gameshell/Pokemon.sh

Then for Pokemon.sh:

#!/bin/bash

retroarch -L /home/cpi/apps/emulators/mgba_libretro.so 
/home/cpi/games/MGBA/Pokemon.gba

I put the .png icon here in my modified OP1 skin for pure dark theme:

Home/cpi/skins/OP1Dark/menu/gameshell/Pokemon.png

Spaces in file names need to be differentiated from spaces between commands, as seen above, using a back slash \

I think this might have been my issue because it was named Pokemon - Emerald Version.gba and it sounds like it needed to be:

/home/cpi/games/MGBA/Pokemon\ -\ Emerald\ Version.gba

Is that how it shouldā€™ve looked before renaming the .gba rom?

Thatā€™s so strange, given the # means the line was commented out!

In that case can I remove this and be fine? What is this for exactly?

#!/bin/bash

1 Like