Install 64bit OS on the CM3

I have a DevTerm with the CM3 module and would like to be in 64 bit mode. I do have a couple of programs that need 64 bit mode. I have a Pi Zero 2W that is running in 64 bit mode and it has the same processor, but just stuffing that SD card in my DevTerm doesn’t work as there isn’t the proper display patches. Another quick test of the CM4 64 bit load didn’t do any better. I do have the uConsole on order with the R-01 processor and may want the CM3 in that at some point.

3 Likes

This first link talks about how to modify an OS for use for the CM4 on the DevTerm. The instructions use RaspberryPiOS, and i don’t see why this wouldn’t work with the 64bit version, but i haven’t tried any of this. The 2nd link leads to the official Raspberry Pi OS images page.

1 Like

I’m in the same boat as Mark. I have tried following Clockwork’s guide on creating an OS image from scratch, but it doesn’t go into the details of kernel patches - just pulls a kernel from their apt - so I’m lost for how to create a 64 bit kernel for the cm3 in a Clockwork motherboard.

I thought maybe a vanilla 64 bit Raspberry Pi OS image would at least boot, even if no screen or anything else worked, and it did! For some reason my USB keyboard wasn’t working with it, but it did in fact boot and hdmi out to a monitor worked.

Putting the CM3 into the devterm with that same sd card also booted, HDMI monitor worked, and USB keyboard also worked this time. Now I can work on getting some of the hardware drivers installed for the screen and such.

oh i did just find this though… maybe this will get me there. How to compile DevTerm CM3 Kernel · clockworkpi/DevTerm Wiki · GitHub

Did you have any luck with this? I started playing with it, but I stopped when I saw there were a number of drivers not available for the rpi on 64.

For example, while there does seem to be a 64bit kernel and fam temp daemon, there are no drivers for the printer or wiringpi.

I’m going to try redoing that tool for CM3 32bit as a starting point, and if that works I’ll try again with 64.

I never did. I also have the uConsole and it has the CM4 in it running 64 bit os. Sort of ignored it after that. I am also running a Beepy with a Pi Zero 2 W and a 64 bit os. I stopped thinking about changing the DevTerm. I just ran into a few programs that need 64 bit, but just don’t have the time to fight it at the moment.

1 Like

Legit, that’s part of why I pivoted to a 32bit image maker. I don’t really need 64 bit for anything, I just want a lighter starting image than what they have for cm3. Thanks for the quick reply!

i was able to boot standard raspios 64 bit on the cm3 in the devterm. Of course that didn’t get the screen or a lot of the peripherals working, but with external hdmi monitor, mouse, keyboard I was able to just use it as a raspi 3, which let me run the game (which required 64 bit) I was wanting to test. I found the CM3 didn’t have enough performance to run the game playably, so I no longer cared to get all the DevTerm devices working with that 64 bit image.

1 Like