Installing Box86/Box64/Wine x86

Is Diablo possible? I think there is a Linux native binary available?

Only thing I tried so far with box86/box64 installed was Zachtronics superb TS-100, which runs, but is scaled weirdly (I think down to 800x480?) making text unreadable and thus the game is unplayable sadly.

Someone made a Gameshell port of Diablo a few years ago, and Iā€™m guessing it will run fine on Devterm too. Looks like the build process is pretty easy, but I havenā€™t tried it yet.

Oh I played the ps1 version on the Gameshell, I have to try that project

Forget about PiKISS for the A04 and A06 cores. It refuses to run on anything else other than a Pi. However, you can still take a look at the PiKISS git in the scripts folder, there are a lot of interesting things to install (x86/x64 and otherwise)

PiKISS is a nice collection of scripts accessible through a menu to install various things. It includes the install script for Diablo, I believe.
I am not sure if PiKISS works out of the box on the A04 and A06 cores, but worth a try.

Anyone have this working on DevTerm A04?

Installing box64 works fine, the only change from the script being defining ARM_DYNAREC instead of RK3399, when calling cmake, that is:

sudo apt install cmake
git clone https://github.com/ptitSeb/box64
cd box64
mkdir build
cd build
cmake .. -DARM_DYNAREC=ON -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=RelWithDebInfo
make -j4 # assuming all 4 cores are enabled
sudo make install

However, Iā€™ve been unable to get box86 to build. The compiler complains about the -marm option, the -mfpu=neon option, and the -march=armv7-a+simd option. The last one worries me the most, since isnā€™t the point to compile armv7 code (for 32-bit)? And the error suggests that the compiler can only deal with arm64 architectures:

cc1: note: valid arguments are: armv8-a armv8.1-a armv8.2-a armv8.3-a armv8.4-a armv8.5-a armv8.6-a native

Anyone have this working on DevTerm A04?

Using the armbian-gaming.sh I was able to install both box86 and box64 without any additional changes on my A04 DevTerm

Hm, Iā€™ll try that. But the script compiles against RK3399, that is, the A06 SOC. With A04 we are running Allwinner H6. (See A04 potential X performance problems + potential solution - #5 by annathyst)

Do box86/box64 work for you?

Do box86/box64 work for you?

They seem to work, but I havenā€™t been able to test this thoroughly, since my screen keeps dying a few minutes after boot. I guess, I will have to contact @AlexDuan by mail to get a replacement after all.

Zachtronics TIS-100 started, which I think is x86

Zoom conference client x64 started aswell and seems to work well, even with UVC webcam plugged in, except for a few graphical glitches and the screen being to small to actually be useful (might have to experiment with screen scaling for this)

Ok, based on your comment, I also used the armbian-gaming.sh script to build box86 only, and it seems to work! I also tried TIS-100, which is indeed x86. It seems fully functional, although, just as you say, itā€™s going to be challenging play on the tiny screen. Great tip, thanks.

./steamcmd.sh +@sSteamCmdForcePlatformType windows +force_install_dir /home/cpi/steam/ yourgame / +login username password +app_update steamid validate +quit

So I have an issue that this gets stuck on Logging in user '*****' to Steam Public.... It seems to be stuck in that condition permanently. Have you encountered that before?

Hmm, I donā€™t remember getting that. Itā€™s been a while since I tried running something this way. Many of the Steam (and other Windows games) I tried to run ended up throwing that GLXBadFBConfig error. And since the display and controls on the DevTerm arenā€™t exactly gaming-friendly, I havenā€™t been using it for that lately.

The only thing I might suggest is making sure steamcmd is up to date. Maybe delete, download, and set it up again? I vaguely remember having trouble with an out of date version of it at one point, but I donā€™t remember it getting stuck like that (I seem to remember it just exiting and failing with an error).

These days Iā€™ve been using my DevTerm as a small private Valheim game server. I was kind of surprised that even worked. Iā€™ve also recently set it up with qFlipper to connect to my Flipper device. While I can update the Flipper firmware that way, I think itā€™s most interesting as a way to make a serial connection to the Flipper and then send messages wirelessly over the sub 1GHz range, etc.

Also, you may want to make sure youā€™re not running (or are signed out of) Steam on other machines. Maybe itā€™s not letting you log in multiple times? Before it would log me out on another machine when I tried to log in again, but maybe something changed.

This is a weird problem that I canā€™t nail down. I also have installed full Steam app in both Manjaro and standard Ubuntu install, and both of them just hang on the monent when I click ā€œloginā€ button. The issue is that Iā€™ve been trying to solve that for months.

Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s related to other Steam instances on other machines, Iā€™ve been able to download a linux version of one game using steamcmd on Mac, then transferring it to DevTerm.

The only comment that I can give now is that Half-Life 2 Linux x86 runs pretty slow even with forced DirectX 6.1 and all low-power optimizations. Only A72 are enabled on 1.8 GHz, and Mali is set to 800 MHz. Maybe I can overclock themā€¦