LattePanda MU - Pi5/Pi4 CM Competitor?

Hey all!
As of the past couple of days I’ve been seeing ads for a new CM in the market, the LattePanda MU.
It seems to also use a DDR3 Sodimm form factor, much like the CM3/CM4 carrier board, however has a far greater support of OS’s and programs as it is x86 based.

I believe that the CPi 3.14 board may use a proprietary pinout however on the Sodimm slot, is anyone aware of the major differences? Do we think there is a way we can run more standardised CM’s that use the Sodimm layout?

This could definitely be a good alternative to the CM4 if it is possible to adapt the kernel changes to x86 OS’s, which this community seems pretty experienced in doing on the ARM side of things so far.

Or if it isn’t possible do we venture into creating a custom main-board for the uConsole using the schematics so that we can diversify in SoC’s using the uConsole platform? Just a thought :stuck_out_tongue:

The LattePanda MU is its own module format. It’s nice for integrators that are producing their own product-centric board. But the format for the LattePanda MU is not compatible with CM3 or CM4. It most closely resembles CM3 specs but it is 2x the size. (69.6 mm x 60 mm rather than CM3’s 67.6 mm x 30 mm). So sadly it’s not going to fit in a uConsole, and it would be significant work to put into a DevTerm (basically replace the CPi board with a custom one)

You should be able to run RPi3 CM3 or RPi4 CM4 with the carrier on a CPi v3.14. There are a few other CM3 based boards that are known to work with the CPi electrically but there’s a lot of software work remaining to get basic stuff working. I think I could get UART up on just about anything. But rather important stuff like USB can be a real pain. I have a Rockchip RK3566 based CM3 on another kit that I keep thinking I should port to uConsole. But both of my uConsoles already work fine, so there isn’t a lot of pressure for me to try.