Manjaro Linux support

I have Manjaro installed on my DevTerm and it pretty much Just Works™. @spikerguy do you know if the CPU gearshift is included in the distro?. I haven’t been able to find it as yet and it doesn’t appear that I’m running on any of the big cores.

Not sure what you mean by CPU Gearshift

In the kernel there is support for all cores of rk3399, so it should be working on all 6 cores.

There’s a utility for the Armbian distro that allows you to dynamically change the number of cores in use. I guess I assumed the same thing was present in Manjaro.

To be clearer, the Manjaro distributions for Devterm A06 starts with all cores activated. However, governer’s for CPU/GPU are different, and possibly default frequencies. I think I saw a discussion of the differences of the /sys filesystem between armbian and manjaro arm somewhere on here. I really want to submit code to the gearboxplus GUI program a user on here wrote to support manjaro arm. It’s on my list. ¯\(ツ)

1 Like

@Steven_Boger That might be the discussion I was thinking of and got it mixed up in my head.

1 Like

I’ve been using cpupower just like @veritazz suggested on back in march:

Also I installed “cpupower” and “cpupower-gui” and with these tools you can nicely configure profiles to your needs. So you can select various governors for the little and big cpus so the temperature stays in range unless you need max power. With these tools there is no need for the gears script so far unless you also want to set the gpu frequency.

I usually run on startup:

sudo cpupower frequency-set -g schedutil

BTW, I’m not sure what’s the proper way to turn the fan on with Manjaro, so I compiled the gpio binary from the official repo and manually turn it on with

gpio mode 41 out # make the port modifiable
gpio write 41 1 # turn on the fan
2 Likes

@dangpzanco If you are able to build the devicetree for manjaro you can add the fan control parts as I mentioned on Mar 5. You can even build it on the device and then replace it in /boot.
With this the fan will be controlled by the kernel. Probably this also works with a devicetree overlay like for the printer if you can construct such (would be nice to see something like this).

1 Like

This was it, lost it in the shuffle, thanks!

2 Likes

If fan is controlled by single gpio then i can add that to dts.

I will do some test over the weekend.

1 Like

Spikerguy,

Downloaded and installed the xfce version from your github a few days ago, any update on the fan? I’m afraid I’m not up to speed enough to build it in for myself. Otherwise I’m impressed, even videos in the browser play which is not what I got with Armbian.

1 Like

Not yet but soon.

Ok as I cannot sleep cause on pain, I sat down to look into it and it didn’t take long to add the required nodes to make the fan work on trip temperature.

Sorry for the delay.

here are the node needed.

Add GPIO Fan node:

gpio_fan: gpio-fan {
                compatible = "gpio-fan";
                gpios = <&gpio3 RK_PA0 GPIO_ACTIVE_HIGH>;
                /* Using Dummy Speed */
                gpio-fan,speed-map = <0 0>, <1 1>;
                #cooling-cells = <2>;
        };

Add cooling map:

&cpu_thermal {
        trips {
                cpu_active: cpu-active {
                        temperature = <70000>; /* millicelsius */
                        hysteresis = <2000>; /* millicelsius */
                        type = "active";
                };
        };

cooling-maps {
                map {
                        trip = <&cpu_active>;
                        cooling-device = <&gpio_fan THERMAL_NO_LIMIT THERMAL_NO_LIMIT>;
                };
        };
};

Using this fan will only turn on when temperature of the CPU crosses 70°C
You can change it to 65 if you want it to run cooler, but that will reduce battery life.

I will add this patch to Manjaro kernel soon.

Patch added to Manjaro kernel.
So next kernel update verion: 5.18.3-2 will have fan control :smiley:

5 Likes

I think it will be better not as monolith patch, because board with fan is option, and a future we will have some else ext. boards

2 Likes

Just wanted to mention that I did updates last night and the new fan control parts were included. Worked very well.

I also have a little heatsink copper foil that came with my DT that I put on before the update. Not sure what a thermal pad and some foil can really do, but I did it anyway.

Could this image also be used in the A04?

No this is just for A06

1 Like