My Experience Upgrading the A-06 (So Far)

I downloaded the latest version.

http://dl.clockworkpi.com/uConsole_A06_v1.1e.img.7z

I prepared the micro SD and started the machine. I went through the entire boot process, configured the wifi, and accessed via SSH to facilitate the configuration process.

No surprises so far.

To work around the problem with GPG, I upgraded the system using the parameter apt-get --allow-unauthenticated upgrade.

apt-get --allow-unauthenticated upgrade

I did a dist-upgrade and went through the process; it was slow but without problems other than GPG.

I expected the wifi failure when restarting the machine, but that’s not what happened. The wifi continued to work normally, and I could log into the machine via SSH. The problem with me was the keyboard with switched keys; for example, I opened the terminal and typed p; instead of the letter P, it opened the screen properties.

I want a lighter Linux distro; honestly, I don’t even need a GUI. And Ubuntu is just too heavy.

If anyone is working on a lighter image, please let me know.

1 Like

I was pretty surprised they’re using the ubuntu repos. Not sure why they don’t just use the normal raspbian repos.

1 Like

So do I. It’s bad to the point where I have to think about creating my image. I want to avoid that; I haven’t compiled the kernel in over a decade, although I haven’t used a machine that only boots from removable media in about three decades. :slight_smile:

Same here… tbh I’m not sure what kind of programs I’m able to install? Whenever I try to install a program I get this error.

uconsole is an ARM device

not x86 ,not amd64 PC

I don’t think Bitwig Studio releases an ARM64 binary. LMMS and Ardour are both in the repos though if you are looking for a DAW.

1 Like

I’ll try that out! I was having some trouble with Sunvox as well.

The CM4 devterm uses raspbian repos. Does the CM4 uConsole not use raspbian?

A06 on devterm has always used ubuntu and has had issues with apt in the past. I got my A06 devterm initially, but I’ve since switched it over to CM4, and when I ordered the uConsole I got a CM4 too, partly because the upgrade path seemed to be more “stable”, and I really didn’t notice much a difference in terms of performance.

My wife said the budget for circuit boards, retro computing, Arduino, etc., is over. So, I’m stuck on A06 for quite a while.

What’s left for me is to play around with the software.

1 Like

I have an A06 uConsole.

I’ve been playing with my A06 uConsole for a few days. I hit a number of roadbumps, but I’ve made it over most of them.

Assembly was super easy. I really appreciate the time and care Clockwork put into the user manual. It’s around Lego or Ikea quality, and I mean that has the highest of complements.

The OS was in a bit rougher shape. Out of the box, it needed some work. Here is a list of changes I made to customize it and add quality of life:

  • Changed cpi user password
  • Migrated cpi user to a custom user account
  • Disabled auto-login and re-enabled lightdm
  • Fixed apt repo key issues
  • Uninstalled a ton of software I didn’t want
  • Removed PPAs I don’t need
  • Configured and themed XFCE (I see hyperland in my future though)
  • Made the A06 gearbox app runnable with sudo without a password
  • Wrote a script to use Cmd+F1-F6 shortcuts that changes the gear and shows a notification of the gear shift
  • Tuned power usage a bit to get around 6-7 hours of battery life
  • Tons of little tweaks

The one big roadblock left is sleep. I can get it to enter ‘deep’ sleep and wake up just fine now, but the battery drain seems unchanged when in deep sleep mode. I’ve just been shutting down and powering on when I’m carrying it around.

Overall, I’m really happy with it. Lots of tinkering which is what I got it for. I’ll start working on a custom kernel soon.

3 Likes

I love the machine, but I still need help with the software.
The main thing is that I still haven’t been able to update the system without it becoming unusable.

added

extraargs=net.ifnames=0

to /boot/armbianEnv.txt to get “normal” network device names back. Predictable network names is a cool idea, but makes scripting stuff a pain in the ass.

2 Likes

Update:

I updated the system, and this time, the keyboard kept working; I don’t know what I did differently this time.

I made many settings:

  • Now starts without the X Window System as I prefer (startx to go to the graphical environment)
  • I adjusted the console font.
  • I adjusted my user, changed passwords, and machine name.
  • I installed avahi-daemon to be able to access the machine by name instead of IP.
  • I installed my dotfiles (I had to make some adaptations)
    installed zsh, neovim, fzf, go, etc.

I still need to remove a ton of packages I don’t use.

Finally, the system is usable. I still have many little details to take care of, but it’s a lot of fun.

1 Like