New Clockwork device: The DevTerm

Some people would be happy to have it for sure!

2 Likes

I for one would be very happy to have one.

me-----> (づ^‿^)づD <---------DevTerm

3 Likes

So quick question. How would the size of the keyboard affect the way you use it. Like would you have to hold it up in your hands and use your thumbs to type like an i-pad. Would you set it on a table and use your 2 index fingers. Or if it’s big enough you would use it like a normal laptop. So how would the size of the keyboard affect the way you use it.

1 Like

How long is a piece of string?

How big are your hands?
How strong are your hands?
Do you have long nails?
Do you depend on homing keys?
Are you intending on touch typing?
What layout are you intending to use?
Do you use one hand or two hands?
Have you had experience with similar sized devices?

And as a bonus; you use your thumbs on an iPad? Well then. That already is a difference in interface management between you and I.

There are a lot of factors that come into play. I would personally use it primarily sitting on my lap, or a table; using all of my fingers akin to a computer. This is from prior experience with my Cassiopeia, eee pc, and other small form keyboards.

Do you normally use two index fingers when typing?

What i mean is like in general.

It comes down to users. How do you use a mouse? Claw grip? Palm grip? When you type on a desktop keyboard, are your palms resting on the table, or raised? Do you play the piano? These are all factors that will change things depending on the user. At the end of the day, you will find a way that works for you. For now, go to a department store, and find say, an electronic pocket dictionary, and have a play with one. See how your hands feel.

On laptops, I use all my fingers except my pinkies, I just stick them up in the air for some reason. On a phone sized thing I use both my thumbs. On an i-pad I do the same. I just wanted to know in general how most people would do it.

I’d venture the use case scenario has a lot to do with it, I see this as a potential field computer, and I do mean field. Be it offline coding, gaming with the d-pad or distraction free writing in, say, a rural setting, I think the flexibility comes from using it on a desk or a lap, like a conventional laptop - judging from my experience back in the late nineties using a Psion series 5 ‘palmtop’, or using it while standing as one might, nowadays, use a tablet, all thumbs. Especially if retro gaming is your bag and you can get along with the game pad built it. I use a mechanical keyboard for hours a day all day, but I seemlessly switch to a MacBook, or linux laptop’s chicklet-style keys, and as mentioned previously, got along swimmingly with netbooks and palm computers back in the day as well. All required a bit of a learning curve, I don’t foresee this being an exception.

3 Likes

I am anxiously waiting for April…

5 Likes

I’m super excited for this to get released!

3 Likes
4 Likes

@yong: If I may, that warning message:

Should probably be visible when the module is on the board, else nobody will see it :wink:

3 Likes

Thanks! That’s a great suggestion.
Consider this a warning during assembly now, it’s a bit too late to change printing now. We will consider additional sticker warnings.

2 Likes

any updates on the process? i’m very interested in seeing more about the assembly and physicality of a “completed” devterm unit. very excited!

2 Likes

Are they still in business? It’s been a week and a half and no email or Facebook response?

That’s not unusual. We went weeks and even months without response on Gameshell issues. They could certainly improve in that area!

1 Like

Have you heard of the Chinese New Year?

It does disturb everything in China for weeks.

2 Likes

Yup! Look at pretty much any eBay listing in the past week. Most sellers from China have their accounts set to “on vacation”. (At least for all my gundam needs)
Heck, even in Australia, we’ve had fire works going off every night. Chinese sure know how to work hard; but also party hard!

I’d assume that the mock ups are what it’s going to be, unless we want any delays. The projected April date seems within reach. I’m not sure what else they would really need to say on the forums. Perhaps you were thinking kick starter style WIP production line shots?

Was it something you emailed them, and needed help with? It could be a long shot, but the community could help if you started a thread. Or even hopped on the discord channel.

Does anyone even use Facebook anymore? At least in Australia, they banned posting news. Yikes.

i know there are some press people reaching out to them, but i emailed just asking about how the keyboard was constructed and they told me “thank you for preordering, if you have any technical questions please use the forum” haha

1 Like

It’s honestly really bizarre that on the official forum for a commercial product, inquiries about simple factual information for that product are met with silence from the product creators, people theorycrafting by analyzing promotional renders, and fans insisting that this is normal.

If the product specs are in flux as they iterate on prototypes, being open about that process would be much better than deafening silence, especially since a selling point of DevTerm is the idea that the community will hack on the devices, furnish some of the software, and design add-ons.