Which DevTerm model did everyone choose?

This will be a fun survey. I originally thought of posting it as a way to potentially gauge what kind of community support each model should have. There shouldn’t be too much different once it’s running. It’s more re: kernel development, reported thermal readings, and in general what kind of power people are wanting from the DevTerm.

Let me know if you would rather I turn this into an anonymous vote. I thought knowing which models which users have ordered would be good for comparing experiences.

Which model and colour DevTerm did you order?
  • Colour: Transparent Gray
  • Colour: Retro Gray
  • DevTerm Kit A04 series (1GB)
  • DevTerm Kit A04 series (2GB)
  • DevTerm Kit RPI-CM3 series (no cm3 included)
  • DevTerm Kit RPI-CM3 series (cm3 lite included)
  • DevTerm Kit A06 series (2GB)
  • DevTerm Kit A06 series (4GB)
  • Bonus: Do you already own a GameShell? Yes
  • Bonus: Do you already own a GameShell? No

0 voters

1 Like

I ordered with the pi. But in retrospect, I should have gone with the A06 or A04 since they are custom and currently only available through clockwork. But I’m counting on the A04/06 being sold individually eventually.

2 Likes

I do wonder whether or not you can simply remove the A04/A06 module and replace it with a RPi compute module. This was probably discussed elsewhere.

Also curiously, the compute module included is a lite, and not a 3+. From memory, this is the one without the onboard NAND memory.

I know that for my other “development devices”, using the onboard NAND is useful but occasionally doesn’t work with everything. Maybe this was a compatibility choice.

1 Like

So far, I’m most surprised by the fact that I’m the only one who went with transparent gray! It’s so cool! :smiley:

2 Likes

You must can. The modular design intends to be easy to upgrade.

2 Likes

I originally order the a0402 but with the delay, i’ve since upgraded to the a0604 and it looks like im not alone.
transparent grey is like a lacey baby doll. :wink: gotta hint at them ulala guts like a pimp! I just wanna show off my hacker wraps on my 18650s… (ordered some low amp unprotected cells that some people are raving about for electronics and powerbanks, see if i can run a 3A+ on em)
Capture

1 Like

Changed to a transparent gray. I might get a spare in different colors when that is available. I am wondering if A04 has lower power consumption?

1 Like

the ao6 line probably uses the most under full load. but power consumption might likely depend on use. I’ve taken to considering how to make use of the various options we are presented with, with the DT as a whole unit (core module aside). I intend to experiment with different batts, swapping individual batts out, one-at-a-time, under use, with and without a diy usb powerpak…

Considering the A0604 has both an A72 and an A53, whereas the A0402 only has the A53, in theory you should be able to configure the former to use one of the cpu’s and save power if that’s an issue. But this is speculation.

For a more anecdotal approach, this was taken from the clockwork Pi store:
“The A-04 series and RPI-CM3 are suitable for general purposes with longer usage time”

I might have to get one of each board to properly test it out for the sake of comparison.

2 Likes

I was considering the same. disabling one or more cores to save power. However, I’ve since (personally) abandoned that idea in favor of possibly supplying power from other sources and testing various methods and schemes including swapping batteries one at a time, live, while also connected to a usb power pack. i take risks… i live on the edge

1 Like

Yup yup! Likewise, re: wanting more power, no matter what the battery life may be. The whole concept of the expansion area seems too attractive to pass up the option to have a power pack option.

It is very interesting that all of the models that you can purchase come with the thermal printer included by default. I love the concept, but having it always connected would severely hinder portability.

1 Like

i ordered twelve Sanyo NCR18650BL 3350mAh 7A Batteries. some of them are going in a powerpak and some are getting rewrapped for “display.” totally gonna try doing crazy stuff with battery swapping

1 Like

The big part of the printer is just the paper holder. It looks like this detaches pretty easily. I believe the printer’s electronic components stay inside when you remove the big bulky paper roll.

2 Likes

the mini thermal reciept printer on adafruit may be used unrolled, if you will. I imagine that if I forgot my tray (or chose to forego it) that I could still use the printer, provided of course I have a sheet of thermal paper handy. the tirck with the adafruit one i have is that the cover holds the paper in place so it can be printed to…

1 Like

I got the A0402 model.
Yes, I have been thinking of getting a A0604 model instead. But, tbh, I am still waiting for future models with more powerful chips.

2 Likes

That’s what I originally opted for prior to my upgrade inquiry. If you want to stick with the, I fully support you. I’m sure it would have suited my needs plenty and the upgrade is overkill… but ill find a way to use it all somehow.

1 Like

upon closer inspection of the printer tray, it actually appears that the feed rollers are in the tray… so you might actually need the printer tray to get the paper to feed thru.

2 Likes

I haven’t ordered one yet, looking at one of the a06 options, have to see what I can afford. (Just going that way to make sure I have the cpu power when needed lol.) I plan on mostly emulation, but never know

1 Like