Really impressed with this little unit

I have been playing with my uConsole for a day or so and I am really impressed with the way the whole package works. I have been using Raspberry Pi’s and other SBC’s for years and I even have a DevTerm I haven’t assembled yet (got forgotten :frowning: ) and I am having a great time with my newest “toy”.

720p Youtube video with no dropped frames (40 initial but none after startup) and the screen is amazing (had to get my stronger reading glasses though).

Just for fun I overclocked the CM4 I have to 2GHz and while it gets a little hotter under load (53c) the huge metal case keeps it chugging along.

Now for a version 2.0 I would love to see this has a folding unit. I think it would be pretty straight forward with just a case redesign. It would be a little chunky folded but even tougher with its screen and keyboard protected.

Can’t wait to see what I have to buy next. :slight_smile: :smiley:

Pete B.

4 Likes

Is there no UI scaling built into Raspian? My initial thought when I heard the screen was so high resolution and so small was that it’d be hard to see anything.

That is more a Linux issue than a uConsole issue.

I know that Ubuntu has fractional scaling but I don’t know how well it works.
I think most other distributions just do like 100% and 200%, I am not sure they can even do 150%.

I am 63 and wear readers for everything and this screen is very crisp, just small, I was really happy with it just needed a little stronger magnification.

I am sure if you are young enough to not wear reading glasses you will probably not have any problems.

Pete B.

3 Likes

maybe try a different desktop environment? I use 125% scaling on my 1920x1080p 15" laptop, in Linux Mint Cinnamon. running “sudo tasksel” should bring up different DE’s.

If you are running the CM4 you should be able to use anything pretty much. I think their default setup, using LXDE, is to reduce the load on the A04 and A06 computer modules.

I have a couple micro sd’s coming today and will definitely be trying some other distributions. May have to experiment a little to include any unique hardware they have setup.

Pete B.

1 Like

Ctrl + or - in a browser causes it to zoom out and in…I have the same issue -

1 Like

You can use cmd xrandr to scale screen display

1 Like

The arch wiki has some great documentations on dpi scaling HiDPI - ArchWiki

3 Likes

Fractional scaling is available in the newer versions of the Gnome desktop environment if you want to try that. Here is a convenient tutorial that uses a schmancy script to do all of the heavy lifting for installing Gnome on Raspbian: How to Install GNOME Desktop Environment on Raspberry Pi

1 Like

Thanks for the gnome pointer, I just got a couple 128GB sd’s to try different setups on this.

All the tips on scaling are handy too, just hate to scale what is already a rather small screen. I will just keep my slightly stronger glasses. :smiley:

Having a great time with this little thing.

Pete B.

1 Like

Yah I got R-01 and I really like it too. Thanks for making this. I told my friends.

1 Like

Here hear! Piling on to the KUDOS to clockworkpi pile! This R-01 unit is exactly what I was hoping it would be. I’ve truly got a uConsole in my pocket at all times. Really looking forward to seeing how the community evolves around the R-01 and RISC-V arch. Again thanks for such an awesome product! <3