Reset button case mod

Just digging this post up as I’ve done a relevant mod to my Gameshell…

Adding an external reset switch is quite straight-forward, and can be done with very minimal alterations to the back of the Gameshell. In this case, I’ve modified the non-LEGO back, but it would work just as effectively on that back too.

Tools needed:

• Drill + 6mm drill but
  • Soldering iron (and solder)
  • two 3" lengths of wire
  • one momentary switch with a 6x6x8mm cap
  • flush snips

Process:

1. Drill a hole in the top/right corner of the back case – you want to position it so that it’s roughly vertically centered, and has enough space for the switch to fit squarely against the inside edge of the case
  2. With the flush snips, trim away some of the top edge of the top/right inner retaining plastic (the top right corner that holds the mainboard module in place) – you just need to remove enough to fit the switch in place, so don’t cut it all the way out
  3. Dismantle the mainboard module, solder 2 wires to the exposed solder pads of the SW2 switch on the back side of the mainboard. You should solder the other end of the wires to the 2 legs on one side of the switch, and fold or remove the remaining two legs.
    external-reset
  4. Assemble the case, fit the new switch in to the space you drilled/cut earlier

Result:

Hopefully somebody else finds this useful!

5 Likes