Running Doom and Heretic

this is a good idea because duke is the best!

+1 here. I’d call my gameshell complete with Doom, Duke3d and Wolfenstein installed. I have Doom and doom 2 currently working.

1 Like

Don’t forget this works for final doom tooo :smiley: im in love with my gameshell

Thanks so much for this tutorial. I added TNT and Plutonia on my Pi as well using this. I created icons based on the originals for those as well and attached them here.

doomtnt

I can only do 1 pic per post so here is the other one.
plutonia

I’m doing everything correctly hopefully, but when configure the games (just doing doom 1) do I just put your text file provided into the .chocolate-doom?

Along with making sh files, how do I do that step?

Where did you find that sh file?

You just make a plain text file, put the text from that step in it, and name it. But instead of .txt name it .sh

1 Like

I got doom off of steam I got the wads but when I run it keeps taking me to free doom. What might be the problem?

Depends:

1. Where did you place the wad(s)?
  2. What did you run?

Example to get DOOM II running on the GameShell:

mkdir '/home/cpi/apps/Menu/Doom II/'
echo 'chocolate-doom' > '/home/cpi/apps/Menu/Doom II/Doom II.sh'

Place DOOM2.WAD in that same directory /home/cpi/apps/Menu/Doom II/ and Reload UI.

2 Likes

I had placed the wads in the doom directory in games and made two different .sh files for doom 1 and doom 2 and placed them exactly where the directions say.

Thank you so much, you’re steps helped so much

which Steam versions did you get to get it to work on gameshell ? I see they have several on offer …

They probably all work. I suggest to buy Doom Classic Complete before 9 July:

Otherwise pick if you are on a budget:

• FIRST GAME: The Ultimate DOOM (includes additional episode)
  • SECONG GAME: DOOM II
  • Second game but different levels: Final Doom
  • Extra levels for second game: Master levels for DOOM II

Thanks !!! Just picked it up :slight_smile:

HI!

Ho I do to make run always on the config file? And also, where I can find it with WinSCP?

Thanks!

You have to make one in /home/cpi/apps/menu/
Then put your Doom.cfg in the .chocolate-doom folder
@jimfaker

Ok yes I did that, I found it, but I still don’t know how to make doom guy with “Always run” option activated.

You have to put it on the file chocolate-doom.cfg? If it is, what is the key? I mean, something like: player_name “cpi”

but for Always_run? How it is?

thanks

I haven’t set up Chocolate Doom yet, but I’d recommend installing it on a different machine, using the configuration tool to set always run, and then looking at the config file and either copying it to the GameShell or making similar changes there. If the configuration tool is already ported to GameShell then it could be run directly from ssh.

https://www.chocolate-doom.org/wiki/index.php/Setup/Keyboard_configuration

Ok I just found it, I write it here if anyone needs it.

On the defaut.cfg you can find the line where “joyb_speed” is and change the old value 2 with 31 and you got always run on all the Doom games.

If you want it on Heretic, you have to do the same but on the heretic.cfg