Screen Brightness no longer adjusting

Using the keyboard to adjust brightness seems to be broken for me starting today

Today when I booted the DevTerm when I press Fn and < or > then the little brightness display …

… pops up but doesn’t move

Trying to adjust from terminal with

$echo (?) > /sys/class/backlight/backlight@0/brightness

Gave a “zsh: permission denied” error until I switched to root

I would like to restore the keyboard brightness functionality, if possible

What system do you use?
The keyboard shortcut never worked for me, but the "echo… " works.

I’m on the DevTerm A06 using the latest OS image from Clockwork

Mine is CM4, so my experiences might be irrelevant.

FYI, i just looked into this yesterday… install xbindkeys-config… will let you open the xbindkeys that the image (i am using .3) has… you will find… nothing… its empty… thats why it doesn’t work on cm4… the rpi-backlight app is there… written in C… and it works well… but they didn’t include the xbindkeys default file… go ahead and add some keybindings… shift + up… command “rpi-backlight up” and shift + down “rpi-backlight down” since the fn buttons actually trigger pg up and pg dn…

you will need an external monitor or something to see the “add” button at the bottom since the window can’t be scaled… when you added what you want… click “save apply and exit” you can test them before you exit…

EDIT: forgot to mention… if it still doesnt work… run this

sudo su -c ‘echo SUBSYSTEM=="backlight", RUN+="/bin/chmod 0666 /sys/class/backlight/%k/brightness /sys/class/backlight/%k/bl_power" > /etc/udev/rules.d/99-backlight.rules’
sudo reboot

to get it to work non sudo…