Thumbsticks in the Keypad

I’ve started trying to make my own keypad module that has thumbsticks. I’m going to use psp1000 style thumbsticks to start with, I don’t like that they don’t have a push in button, but they are very compact.
I’m starting with just the button layout and I’ll use a external Arduino pro micro and if it’s comfortable to use then I’ll build the Arduino into the PCB.

I made up some PCBs in EAGLE, pretty happy for my first PCB design. And got it made:
IMG_20190502_123037

Added some components:
IMG_20190502_123044
I’m still waiting on my thumbsticks to arrive.

Printed enclosure, still need to do a few buttons, also things don’t like up quite right
IMG_20190503_100235
The case needs refining but soon I’ll be able to see if this is viable.

12 Likes

I love this! It’s great to see this kind of things being made!

I’m waiting to see it when you print an entire front case with your thumbsticks :slight_smile:

Damn, what games will be able to use thumbsticks? Ps1?

Yeah, PS1 is the main reason im doing this, particularly for games like ApeEscape that require the dualshock controls. Additionally ive read some people have had some minor success with N64 emulation so maybe that aswell.

For anyone interested here is all my work on this project, I haven’t been able to work on it for a while but should be able to get back to it eventually.
I got it upto the stage where it was detected by windows as a gamepad and all buttons/thumsticks were detected correctly. Just needed some generic drivers for it for the gameshell and then fit it into the case.

2 Likes

hi!, how is your progress so far? Do you able to get it working?

i’d like to see this complete! hopefully you haven’t left the forums for good or just given up since you posted this

Hey guys,
Still around, but I haven’t continued this, mainly because the thumbsticks I was using didn’t click in which fell a bit short for the ps1 emulation I was targeting it at, and at the time the only thumbsticks that I could find that were pressable were the large standard controller kind, way too big in my opinion.

All that being said a couple months ago I saw the ‘FJ08K’ ones around which are pretty much perfect. I may get back to it eventually, but I wouldn’t wait for it, as I have alot of other projects on the go.

I would welcome, and love to see, someone take my work across the finish line, it was pretty close, It worked as a standalone controller, it just needed to be stuffed inside the gameshell with a custom case.

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I was planned to do similar thing when I find your post. I am thinking add an Thumbstick to the keypad since it is basically an Arduino board and have a lot extra io. then i will mount the Thumbstick on the side of the gameshell by use the lego back cover. it may be inconvenient, but I think it may be a good starting point on integrate Thumbstick to the system.

1 Like

Are you going to sell these? They look awesome!