We really need more updates and transparency from the devs

the kernel is opensource for sure

and the compilation process is

cp ./arch/arm/configs/clockworkpi_cpi3_defconfig .config
make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabihf-
mkimage -A arm -O linux -T kernel -C none -a 0x40008000 -e 0x40008000 -n "Linux kernel" -d arch/arm/boot/zImage uImage

the configs will be there after you applied the patches ,gameshell offers the kernel patches for the mainline kernel

1 Like

This Poll should be pined to the top of the forum and it should be the first thing people see when they login!!!

2 Likes

Well, I think that the team that made the GameShell is obviously really passionate and good at engineering stuff. I think that where they fail is the pure business sense: there seems to a lack in business leadership, like there’s no one that really knows how to run a company. The marketing is really great though, they made a good job with that, and I think that this probably saved the project, to some extent. But I doubt we will see many exciting news in the future. It’s a shame because I really like this device and I still get fun out of it, but it could have been a lot more than this.

There’s a GSv2 in the works??? I must have missed that comment! Going towards the death of the Gameshell?! Haha a little melodramatic don’t you think? Haha I jest. :slight_smile:
They did offer the 3.1 clockwork board. And there is a high res display in the works. The light key module itself was an upgrade part. I guess that leaves the battery, speaker and keyboard module. Perhaps that should be another thing to add to the poll; making more interchangeable modules.

The team is definitely passionate about the engineering side of things! They don’t advertise at all that they’re business minded people, actively apologising for their shortcomings. They probably had a vision of the community coming together to make the Gameshell grow; which it has!! More communication and collaboration with the devs is what the people want. And hey! Look at this thread! There is that kinda communication going on.

If only discussion like this could just happen without being prefaced with disappointment and finger pointing for something that hasn’t been delivered upon. Likewise with people getting frustrated, threatening to sell their consoles, or give up on help being offered, due to the steep learning curve.

Given the game jams they’ve run, it seems like this is marketed as being a device to encourage community development. Given the shady grey area surrounding commercial Roms, from a legal business standpoint this … kinda makes sense. No point going down the path of the Souljaboy. :wink:

There are a few threads surrounding V-Sync. If you run games that depend on retroarch from the launcher, you can get v-sync, if you enable it.
Not all the standalone emulators have the option to enable v-sync; let alone any graphics option. That’s up to the external software maintainers. Having them ported is just a bonus, provided by the community and then later included in 0.4 by the devs.
I guess I never was offended by the occasional screen tearing/v-sync issues that come up. It comes down to how much you want your Gameshell to do.

lol the GSv2 is an example that mean instead of eventually releasing a new GS they should develop further the modular aspect of the first one. English is not my language so I tend to cut corners… :slight_smile:

Also I believe that being negatives and pointing fingers is a part of the process of discussion too. It give an idea of how the community feel right now so its not a bad thing.

Where you get that file from?

1 Like

download the mainline kernel (version equals to the gameshell)

apply the kernel patch from GameShell’s github (current 5.2.0-rc4 is in v0.4)

then you’ll see

2 Likes

I already have that option enabled (I don’t have that fancy version of RetroArch, how did you?), and it completely ignores me.

I’m on 0.3, with Lima activated, and I come from an unstable 0.4 with Lima activated as well. Neither of both had proper VSync.

The modded dwm source for example. I could not find it.

@Petrakis Here is a kernel source that can be used to compile your own kernel. Clockwork Kernel 5.3.6 .
If you just want to download a compiled kernel or figure out how to use the kernel file please:https://forum.clockworkpi.com/t/gameshell-os-update-to-kernel-5-3-6/4729/17

2 Likes

The source of dwm https://github.com/clockworkpi/launcher/blob/master/dwm-mod is missing

Another example:

Yeah I’d like the source code of the modded dwm and of the bootloader too.