What Database do you use on your DevTerm and what is your use case?

I wanted to see what databases people have been using on their DevTerms and what kinds of use cases they have. I have been using PostgreSQL for my home lab for several years to scrape news headlines and store data from the Reddit API.

1 Like

MariaDB is the one I use - it works with Grafana …application is an event tracking Bike rides triatholons, node red gui is input, Grafana is dashboard… still in development.

1 Like

I use SQLite for anything where I want something small and lightweight that can operate offline and is easy to back up.

1 Like

I use flat text files. The goal is to learn how to do things efficiently as possible while using something that is not efficient at all.
I address performance problems as they come up, like adding an index when lookup becomes slow, as well as using learning algorithms to extract the most relevant entries in the shortest amount of time.
There’s nothing more satisfying than running a lookup several times in a row and watching it get faster with each run…

1 Like

I’m using mine as a terminal mainly. :‌‌) drawterm to talk to the Plan 9 system, ssh to talk to everything else.

On-device I’m mostly using text files. I use awk a lot so that’s a convenient format. I have sqlite3 and Redis installed (but persistence disabled for Redis because I’m paranoid about wearing out the SD card). I am not using sqlite3 for anything yet, I just install it out of habit because

A wiki is not quite a database but I’ve been using AwkiAwki for taking notes and collecting links and as a browser start page; as a bonus, it lets me show the notes to people on the LAN. (Or using a fork of it: GitHub - pete/awki: Awki is a lightweight wiki written in awk. These are my patches, original here: http://awkiawki.bogosoft.com/ . If you are familiar with the first wiki, Ward’s Wiki, it’s a clone of that done a long time back.)

(Edit: If you type “:‌)” and it tries to draw a :slight_smile:, you can put a U+200C between the colon and the close paren.)

1 Like

try running yokadi - it’s a command line todo list application that runs on sqlite… it is amazing for organizing task etc - using it for our next bike ride to track riders, support , request for support etc.

2 Likes