A message to ClockworkPi and the community

All well and cool and I dont mind people speaking their minds on the forum, but I am not sure why the tone is quite an accusing one. We are a forum where we are helping eachother/community and ClockworkPi to further their development. If lycj has an issue with his device, he can contact clockworkpi and check if he has warranty. If he is running into technical issues; we are (as a community) more than happy to help out… but… why he is making this into a legal ***singcontest is beyond me. @lycj please just enjoy all that the forum has to offer in help, guidance,discussion etc, appreciate all of us doing this is a constructive way and do let me, a moderator or @yong or @Veronica know by personal message if you have other problems instead of bringing this to the forums.

3 Likes

:smiley:Hi Lix! Glad you’ve re-joined the community. I’m not part of Clockwork or anything, but I think it’s best to have as many people on this forum as possible so that the community gets bigger. So thank you for coming back here.

Is it true that the Gameshell doesn’t work after re-opening it? I ask because I want to keep my Gameshell in good condition, but I found out recently that I need to open mine up again. Thank you for reading everyone!

It is actually made to be very easy to open an close it, as long as you have properly removed all the nubs from the parts upon assembly, and are careful not to tear cables.

I open my Gameshell extremely frequently. I can verify that it does indeed work after being opened. You can even run it disassembled, with just the cables attached.
I guess if you know you’re going to be flashing it a lot for testing purposes, don’t fully close the chassis.

1 Like

Well if you do it carefully its ok on the short term, but with time, if you open it too much I believe that some components will fail. The screen ribbon, the wires… etc

I can be wrong.

2 Likes

At the end of the day, everything is consumable. Even my Gundam models I make eventually break if I change their poses too much. A door knob will eventually get loose and break after too much use. Heck, the old NES console eventually got dirty contacts, making game cartridges less reliably read. Remember the days of blowing on cartridges? (Which makes it worse lol)

The good news is, that ribbon is far sturdier than most I’ve seen, eg like those in mobile phones, and the display ribbon on a raspberry pi. That thing is a brittle piece of spaghetti.

The one tip I would give is to keep the little rubber nubs in for at least a week to “train” your wires into shape. After that’s done, you can pretty much remove them. In particular, when disassembling it and changing SD cards a lot, I remove the rubber nub closest to the SD card to make it easy to just pop up the CPI board from the bottom and change the SD card. Just make sure you get it in the SD slot, and not floating above the board.

No other component needs to be moved, besides the screen, which is sitting on top of the CPI board. Even then, you can keep it plugged in. You should just keep everything where it is. Don’t bother taking apart the entire gameshell, or unplugging cakes from the CPI board. That can lead to cables getting loose; especially if you’re pulling from the cable, and not the plug.

It comes down to the gameshell assuming you have some technical know how and finesse. It wouldn’t be something I’d trust my 7 year old niece to take apart. If you’ve ever taken apart a phone, laptop, game console or even built Lego, you should be fine.

At the end of the day, you can just buy replacement cables if they ever break. I’ve had mine for about a year, and haven’t had to replace anything.

1 Like