A06 Manjaro no boot after update

So I let my Devterm update just a little while ago, just like I’ve several times now, but this time a different result. This is the Manjaro image that has kindly been built by others.

I let the system update it self and everything looked good, hit the reboot button when prompted, saw it shut down, then nothing but backlight for the display. Let it sit for about half an hour like this with power connected and batteries charging.

After that time I finally held the power button to force it off. Press power button back on and just blank display with backlight. Wait a while more, and still no changes. Force power off again and pay more attention when powering back up… Just after the backlight comes on, I see a cursor flash 3 times. Then blank display with backlight until I get tired of waiting.

Before I nuke the card and image again, is there anything I can do to salvage this? I do have another linux computer that should be able to mount the SD card to edit files if need be.

Still using the stock 32gb card, think I will buy a bigger card for the next attempt. Probably going to try the guu version of Armbian, sounds like this might have most of the bugs worked out and a nice long life of the release.

Take the card out and mount it on a proper Linux machine and manually repair the installation.
qemu-user-static + arch-chroot would be a plus.
Check /var/log/pacman stuff to see what happened.
Check /boot to see if the kernel images do not match the boot config any more.

Thanks, I’ll give a look. I have the newer community version of Armbian running on another card so I can hooefully use that to look at my Manjaro install and figure out what happened. Hopefully it’s just not pointing to the newer kernel.

I had this problem too, and it looks like it’s caused by the linux kernel update.
To work around this, I added linux-clockworkpi-a06 uboot-clockworkpi-a06 to the IgnorePkg = ... line (might need to uncomment it) in /etc/pacman.conf which will prevent further updates of the kernel.
This is not a permanent solution of course, but will allow receiving updates until a proper fix will be available.

1 Like

hey folks, can you provide some more information on which kernel update and preferably also some output from dmesg w/ whatever kernel errors, hopefully some sort of stacktrace (maybe via serial console) if you can’t bring up the screen?

I saw that post on github. Sorry I haven’t had time to look into this yet on mine. That might be part of the issue, or it might be the SD card, I had problems with this card right out of the box.

I did download the latest Manjaro image a few days ago, and it was working, this leads me to believe my issue might be the card. Going to buy a new card soon.

I’ll also need to look into getting a serial console so I can log the boot process on my old card, hopefully this week I can spend time on it. Need to get things stable so I can use it for real work, which is approaching really fast. Right now Armbian V2 seems OK except for booting to only 4 cores.

@Greg_E @gsurkov
it’s fixed in linux-clockworkpi-a06 5.19.5 (may take a while for repository mirrors to update). Yay \o/

Updated my DevTerm A06 to 5.19.5 and sadly no, can’t get it to boot.
When running from the battery, the screen goes dark after showing the cursor for a brief moment, but the power LED glows dimly still.
When plugged to the charger, the brightness drops (probably to the level I have set it in the /sys/class/…/backlight), the cursor stays on screen, doesn’t blink and the system hangs up afterwards.

Somehow, it started to boot normally. I had loglevel=7 set in my boot parameters which may have slowed it down considerably. After removing this option I can get a stable boot each time.
The output from the UART is still garbled though.

Everyone who took part in fixing it, big thanks to you! (unless it breaks again. just kidding, y’all are awesome.)

1 Like

With linux-clockworkpi-a06 5.19.5 the serial console is also now properly enabled for use after earlycon, so future issues should be easier to provide debug info on (make sure you use a short, short USB cable, otherwise you will have more garbling of text)

1 Like