After playing Retro Game in NES, GameShell stuck on Loading page

After playing Retro Game in NESTOPIA, GameShell stung in Loading…

Please help me!

from the x.log I guess it’s a font problem?

**cpi@clockworkpi** : **~** $ cat /tmp/x.log

X.Org X Server 1.19.2

Release Date: 2017-03-02

X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0

Build Operating System: Linux 4.9.0-8-armmp-lpae armv7l Debian

Current Operating System: Linux clockworkpi 4.20.0-clockworkpi-cpi3-00001-ga2b7682c5366 #2 SMP Wed Jan 2 05:56:21 UTC 2019 armv7l

Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200n8 earlyprintk no_console_suspend root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait init=/sbin/init noinitrd panic=10

Build Date: 03 November 2018 05:53:43AM

xorg-server 2:1.19.2-1+deb9u5 (https://www.debian.org/support)

Current version of pixman: 0.34.0

Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org

to make sure that you have the latest version.

Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,

(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,

(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.

(==) Log file: "/home/cpi/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri May 10 23:11:50 2019

(++) Using config file: "/home/cpi/launcher/.xorg.conf"

(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"

modprobe: ERROR: ../libkmod/libkmod.c:586 kmod_search_moddep() could not open moddep file '/lib/modules/4.20.0-clockworkpi-cpi3-00001-ga2b7682c5366/modules.dep.bin'

modprobe: FATAL: Module g2d_23 not found in directory /lib/modules/4.20.0-clockworkpi-cpi3-00001-ga2b7682c5366

/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/gsnotify

../skin/default/truetype/VarelaRound-Regular.ttf

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "run.py", line 45, in <module>

from UI.main_screen import MainScreen

File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/main_screen.py", line 34, in <module>

from counter_screen import CounterScreen

File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/counter_screen.py", line 16, in <module>

class CounterScreen(FullScreen):

File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/counter_screen.py", line 18, in CounterScreen

_CounterFont = MyLangManager.TrFont("varela120")

File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/lang_manager.py", line 103, in TrFont

raise Exception('cjk font string format error '+ str(font_size_number))

Exception: cjk font string format error 120

x11info: 8388615

Have you read that topic:

?

Thanks for your replay.

Yes, I do. I have try all the methods in the topic except flash the rom.

Because this problem was happened a few days ago, and then I flash the rom v0.3 and fix it. But unfortunately
it happens again! And I don’t want to flash it again and again, so I want to see if there is some way to fix it easier.

Thanks again.

There are numerous reasons for it to get stuck on the “Loading” screen, as described in many threads (Stuck in Loading Screen after Update). And the fact is, you aren’t actually stuck on the loading screen, you are just seeing the GameShells default background which just happens to be an image that says “Loading”. There is an open ticket to fix this (https://github.com/clockworkpi/launcher/issues/181).

But from the looks of it, you are actually just experiencing this issue (https://github.com/clockworkpi/launcher/issues/180), which has been fixed, so you probably just need to update your launcher.

Essentially before the fix above, the launcher would initialize 72 different font objects as well as some other things every time the the launcher starts (i.e. every time you start and exit an application), creating tons of handles to the files and after several times, the launcher crashes, leaving you on the “Loading” screen.

Thanks for your reply, it’s very helpful!

In fact, I have update my console and it’s the newest firmware I think. And just now, I have flash the v0.3 rom to my GameShell again, and I hope it will not happens anymore(perhaps it will).

I guess the font problem is related with the language Simple Chinese, so this time I will use English.

Thanks again.

If you continue to have issues, I’d be glad to actually dig in a little more and help.

So I really have…

After I read the topic you given me, I find the Launcher update in GitHub, so I think I should download the source code and copy the Launcher folder to my GameShell’s home folder.

But after I do this ( switched to the LauncherGo, connect to my Mac, replace the Launcher folder, then switch back to the Launcher), the worst thing happened again!

Now I stung on Loading page again.

I still don’t know why, and have to flash the rom once more. I think replace the whole folder is too dangerous, this time I will try to replace the sys.py, which seems to fix the bug you reported.

Is that right? Thanks a lot for helping me.

Okay, I will try and reproduce the issue and see if I can find anything. In the meantime:

1. Have you tried to turn off the GameShell (Hold power button until it turns off) and turned it back on? Did the GameShell function properly again after this (for any amount of time), or is the GameShell essentially unusable after the issue appears, even after restart?
  2. Does the issue only happen after specifically playing NESTOPIA?
  3. Does the issue happen immediately? Or can you use the GameShell for awhile before the issue happens?
  4. Can you 100% reproduce it and provide how-to steps?

If the GameShell functions properly after reboot, then it is NOT likely that you need to re-flash, there is just an issue with however you are configuring it (settings, transferring / modifying files, etc).

wow,sorry
it’s a bug of launcher, been fixed just now

I guess your launcher is not using English as default language so this happened

two ways to fix this:

• in settings -> power options, just use server or performance
  • ssh into GameShell ,run cd ~/launcher && git pull to manually update the launcher ,not from the Settings Menu, We are preparing the next os image, so recently , launcher will have no updates officially

sorry for that
thanks for the bug report

So I finally re-flash it, and copy those folders to Launcher, and now it seems good.

To the question:

1. Yes, many times, but still the Loading page.
  2. In my case, I find this happened after changing the Retro Games’s Emulator configs, perhaps the video ratio, I change it from 1:1 to 4:3.
  3. Yeah, after I changed the config, not for a while GameShell turn to a black screen and seems no work, so I hold the power button and shut it down, and then it stung on Loading page.
  4. Currently I can’t, because I have replace the Launcher files now, and I set the default language to English, so this time the problem seems have gone.

I agree with your opinion, but I don’t know how to config it correctly, so the re-flash is the only solution…

I will keep on watch my problem, and hope for it won’t happen anymore.

Thanks for you kindly help!

Thanks for you replay!

I have re-flash my GameShell, replace the new-version files to Launcher, and set English as default language, so it seems good now.

OK, I get the solution, and will try it next time when it happens (but I hope it won’t, haha).

1 Like

Unfortunately, the problem happens again just now.

When I enter the Retro Game, choose the NESTOPIA, and select a Chinese FC game, and then it turns to black screen, I can hear the game’s music, but no picture.And when I force shut down the GameShell, it stungs on the Loading page again…

The last time I met the problem is the same situation with this.

This time, my rom is up-to-date, my launcher is up-to-date, the system language is English, and it’s Server mode.

I don’t know why it still happened, and I am mad now!

Please help me…

the problem still happened again just now.

cpi@clockworkpi:~$ cat /tmp/x.log

X.Org X Server 1.19.2
Release Date: 2017-03-02
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.9.0-8-armmp-lpae armv7l Debian
Current Operating System: Linux clockworkpi 4.20.0-clockworkpi-cpi3-00001-ga2b7682c5366 #2 SMP Wed Jan 2 05:56:21 UTC 2019 armv7l
Kernel command line: console=ttyS0,115200n8 earlyprintk no_console_suspend root=/dev/mmcblk0p2 rootfstype=ext4 rootwait init=/sbin/init noinitrd panic=10
Build Date: 03 November 2018  05:53:43AM
xorg-server 2:1.19.2-1+deb9u5 (https://www.debian.org/support) 
Current version of pixman: 0.34.0
	Before reporting problems, check http://wiki.x.org
	to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
	(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
	(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/home/cpi/.local/share/xorg/Xorg.0.log", Time: Mon May 13 13:18:12 2019
(++) Using config file: "/home/cpi/launcher/.xorg_lima.conf"
(==) Using system config directory "/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d"
/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/gsnotify
../skin/default/truetype/VarelaRound-Regular.ttf
Charging 8
('CheckBluetooth:no bluetooth', (0, ''))
state
dbus.UInt32(0L)
Trash: 
['']
BleAgent /gameshell/bleagent registered
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "run.py", line 641, in <module>
    big_loop()
  File "run.py", line 543, in big_loop
    main_screen.ReadTheDirIntoPages("../Menu",0,None)
  File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/main_screen.py", line 463, in ReadTheDirIntoPages
    self.ReadTheDirIntoPages(_dir+"/"+i, pglevel+1 ,self._Pages[ len(self._Pages) -1])
  File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/main_screen.py", line 568, in ReadTheDirIntoPages
    self.ReadTheDirIntoPages(_dir+"/"+i,pglevel+1,iconitem._LinkPage)
  File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/main_screen.py", line 534, in ReadTheDirIntoPages
    em.Init(self)
  File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/Emulator/__init__.py", line 107, in Init
    self.InitRomListPage(main_screen)
  File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/Emulator/__init__.py", line 102, in InitRomListPage
    self.RomListPage.Init()
  File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/Emulator/rom_list_page.py", line 235, in Init
    self.SyncList(self._Emulator["ROM"])
  File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/Emulator/rom_list_page.py", line 175, in SyncList
    alist = self.GeneratePathList(path)
  File "/home/cpi/launcher/sys.py/UI/Emulator/rom_list_page.py", line 165, in GeneratePathList
    dirmap["file"] = v.decode("utf8")
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/encodings/utf_8.py", line 16, in decode
    return codecs.utf_8_decode(input, errors, True)
UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xcb in position 25: invalid continuation byte
x11info:  8388616

In my case, I guess maybe the problem happened because the Retro Game load a rom, which’s name is Chinese like 松鼠大作战2.zip。

What I want to do now is: how can I fix the launcher or how can I switch to the lauchergo instead?

Good to report bugs
:smile:

I guess it’s your filename problem this time
maybe it is encoded by other encoding like GBK
I ran the NESTOPIA with 松鼠大作战2.zip ,everything is ok here

and if you can hear the music of game, that means the game is running
but no screen
so this is like a lima problem, you are using v0.3 os image with lima right?

The /tmp/x.log shows about utf8 decoding problems
But I need to prevent this Error from stopping the launcher ,really

make a git pull in launcher now

I think the utf8 filename decoding problem( UnicodeDecodeErro ) is fixed now

Thanks a lot for reply!

I have trying to resolve the problem for 3 hours, and after that, my GS can’t start up.

This time I download the launcher-master zip files, delete the launcher folder in my GS, and copy the new version to the same place. But after I reboot it, the GS shows the console screen again and again, seems the new launcher isn’t work well.

Yes I am using v0.3 os image with lima, and my 松鼠大作战2.zip is a Chinese version rom (外星科技版). So I guess the problem is the rom.

So what can I do now? Should I re-flash the rom again?

So I do the re-flash again last night, and git pull the new version of launcher. Thanks for fixing the bug~

I would not recommend using Lima yet, it is not stable and should be for testing only (AFAIK this is not a fault of the GameShell, it is just that the Lima driver is not stable yet). There have been numerous problems reported using it in the v0.3 OS, which I have experienced personally (specifically with the GAMBATTE RetroArch core. It does not work with Lima and causes similar issues as you describe. Minus the UTF encoding launcher issues, which hopefully @guu can fix soon).

Yes, maybe it was the Lima which causing the problem, and now I keep the default AFAIK.

These days I am really tired about this Loading-Page problem, so sad.

Yes for sure, and I have send the e-mail just now. Thanks for watching my topic.