ALFA USB Wifi adapters

Any of you ever try one of the ALFA usb wifi adapters? I haven’t tried putting the wifi module that came with the uConsole in monitor mode yet, but I know most seem to have signal strength issues. Let me know about any USB wifi adapters you’ve tried and if you’ve ever run them in monitor mode as well as if there were any special considerations outside of drivers and more battery drain that I should be aware of.

The mediatek chipset alfas will do monitor.

I have an alfa and it is the ath9k_htc apt., and I havent been able to put it in monitor mode, but tbh i havent messed with it any as ive been trying to get the black-parrot OS going and im about half way there. It is supposed to have been tested in 2020 on riscv.

Would like to know how it goes, be sure to make your own thread when successful, what core are you using

Ahhh. Forgot these things are using a weird amalgamation os. It just works on raspberrypi os.

OK, got the adapter in and followed these steps from the ALFA website to get the drivers downloaded

sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install raspberrypi-kernel-headers
git clone https://github.com/aircrack-ng/rtl8812au.git
cd rtl8812au
sed -i 's/CONFIG_PLATFORM_I386_PC = y/CONFIG_PLATFORM_I386_PC = n/g' Makefile
sed -i 's/CONFIG_PLATFORM_ARM64_RPI = n/CONFIG_PLATFORM_ARM64_RPI = y/g' Makefile
make
sudo make install

When I get to the “make” command, I get this error “make[1]: /lib/modules/5.10.17-v8+/build: No such file or directory. Stop.”

The thing is, /lib/modules/5.10.17-v8+, does exist. I don’t see the build directory. I have been looking for a concrete solution using google-fu, but maybe someone else here may know how to resolve this.

Any luck yet on getting Parrot OS to work?

Have you installed cmake? Sorry i know this might be a no brainer :sweat_smile:

Hell no lol. I have been entrenched in my truck repairs like replacing the ring and pinion in the rear end, welding the exhaust pipe, the exterior lighting (the prior owner must have been king of the crack heads), replacing the pitman arm, and then i thought i seen someone had already done it so i was like eh whatev. Is there a list of known OS for this? I know when i originally bought it it had debian listed as one of the OS but i have never seen an actual thread or github repo to snatch one from. Ubuntu is a very nice OS and all but im ready to start another one for fun.

Hey i would like to revive this post with my problems. :wink:

I try to install a Alfa AWUS036ACS and so far i get everything to work, so it seems…
I followed that guide:GitHub - aircrack-ng/rtl8812au: RTL8812AU/21AU and RTL8814AU driver with monitor mode and frame injection.
Make changes on the Makefile as described for ARM64, compiled the Makefile and run sudo make install.
The installation worked fine and the wireless dongle get recognized… sort of…

The command iwconfig shows the Adapter as:
wlan 1 unassociated ESSID :“” Nickname:“WIFI@REALTEK” and so on…

The dongle didnt show any SSIDs and seems not to work.
Has anyone any idea with this Problem?

It’s a realtek chipset, they’re garbage. Stick with mediatek chipset alfas and you’ll have better luck.

I have essentially the same problem. With the Alfa AWUS036ACS.

I also tried connecting with the tp-link TL-WN722N v2/v3.
The tp-link was recognised, but I failed to enable power management or monitor mode. I haven’t tried everything yet (aircracked, for instance).

I also ordered another Alfa AWUS with a MediaTek chipset, hopefully this will allow me to use angryoxyde.

Anybody else encountered similar road block?
I’m on a CM4-S.

The only version of the tl-wn722n that does monitor is the first version. That one was medaitek, all the newer ones are realtek.

Hey mate,
It appears your info is erroneous, the TP-link TLwn722N v.1 didn’t have a mediatek chipset. It was a Atheros AR9002U.

Also, the mediatek version isn’t “garbage” in and of itself. Saying that in the thread doesn’t really contribute to solving the issue.

And the issue is…the driver. The driver used for the TL-WN722N v2/v3 is the rtl8188eus.
That driver doesn’t support monitor mode.
BUT I have high hopes for the driver 8xxxu, the only thing is that I can’t find a tutorial to install this drivers on a CM4 Raspian.

I was able to make it work on Ubuntu and Kali x64. I simply don’t know if there are ARM drivers for this dongle.
Has anybody tried anything else that might work?

You’re right, it is atheros, which is owned by mediatek. I haven’t used mine in about 10 years. But I’ll stand by my realtek is garbage statement. Realtek doesn’t support linux wifi. Any drivers you find for it will be from some dude that built them from scratch. They may work today, but the next kernel update may, or may not break them. I deal with people trying to get realtek chipped devices working daily. It’s best to just use a properly supported wireless device. https://github.com/morrownr/USB-WiFi/blob/main/home/The_Short_List.md

1 Like

I didn’t know about Atheros being own by Mediatek.
I was able to have some responsiveness from my TP-Link on a core version of Arch, but I don’t know enough about this OS to do much, I’m just reading the same Arch wiki article 3 times at this point.
A simpler solution might be to flash Kali on yet another micro SD card, which I will probably end up doing.

I have to confess, though we have a diverging opinion on the TP-Link -not by much, mind you-, your first “garbage” comment prompted me to order the Alfa AWUS036ACM as well as some SMA female to U.FL cable.

It should arrive soon.
Who knows, if it works out of the box, maybe I’ll be bold and attempt to rig it inside my uConsole? I just really want to be able to run angryoxide.

Don’t think ak-rex patches his kernel for monitor mode, so just installing kali won’t really do a lot for you. Could be wrong though, I have the A06 so stuck on the stock clockwork image which doesn’t do monitor mode, even with mediatek wifi adapters.

OH, nevermind, it does work. :blush:

1 Like

The only thing I did to the kernel was add the drivers and overlays for our devices. The headers are already installed so you should be able to compile any modules you may need.

Not sure if this will help, but I am experiencing the same thing with a AWUS036ACH adapter. On my uConsole (I am using the Kali release from this forum).

I couldn’t get the drivers installed on the uConsole, so I decided to try Kali on an old laptop (the UConsole is great, but the missed detection of key presses get a bit tedious after long use).

It’s different architecture but I ran into a similar problem as you did - it installed, I could see it in network manager (ESSID :“” Nickname:“[WIFI@REALTEK]) but it would not show any networks. Digging a little deeper I found this on the aircrack-ng github page: Adapter is available but not working · Issue #1157 · aircrack-ng/rtl8812au · GitHub which then had a link to this solution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr-8RmoNi70&t=40s

Following the instructions on the video got the adapter working on my laptop and I can use the full functionality. Again, I appreciate that there is different architecture between my laptop and the uConsole and this seems to be related to the latest Kali & kernal release, but hopefully we can piece together a solution. I am going to take another stab at the weekend.

All the best.

Just going to leave this here. We’ve only been saying realtek is crap for a decade now.

1 Like