uConsole Mods USB, RJ45 Networking and more

Hey guys,
I’ve come up with a few mods for my uConsole, inspired by some other posts.

This uConsole contains:
1x DollarTec 4x USB 2.0 Hub
2x USB 2.0 external ports
1x RJ45-USB network dongle
1x external SMA connection for the onboard antenna
1x external SMA connection for an additional WLAN dongle.

I am planning an additional USB WLAN dongle with monitoring and packet injection capabilities

The soldering work isn’t pretty but unfortunately I only use a very crude soldering iron at the moment.

The USB connection for the USB hub was tapped from an unequipped daughter board. There are some pins available here for the controller of the 4G modem, where you can tap USB.
The Colockwork uConsole Github page contains diagrams that help determine pins.

9 Likes

Nice mods! Would like to read the implementation details somewhere

1 Like

Nice mods, Ive got a rj-45 dongle now im really thinking I need to embed it. I have a open usb on the inside. my current plans for the inside are a SDR, LoRa and a flash drive. I think I have that same USB hub board.

1 Like

Thanks, im a Networking guy so i hope to use this for troubleshooting and a RJ45 is a nice addition.
The SDR was my first idea but the uConsole produces a lot of interferences so its nearly unusable for SDR Scanning. There seems to be a switching regulator or so.

2 Likes

interesting I’ll have to check it out when i receive mine. My SDR works well with my DevTerm, so I don’t think its hardware interference. I know unless you get the signals out of the case you’re gonna have problems but I have boxes full of antennas and SMA cables so I’m good.

1 Like

I tried it with an original RTL SDR stick.
However, I had to remove the housing so that everything fits into the device. I think the lack of shielding contributed to the problem.

2 Likes

Definitely won’t help. Lol

2 Likes