Bookworm 6.6.y for the uConsole and DevTerm

sounds good enough to try this out myself! :grinning:

oh I love this uconsole + bookworm to manage my raspberries!

I enabled now screenblankingā€¦ it didnt ask when it"s triggered thoā€¦ how doI use swayidle?

edit: the blanking works fineā€¦ will save a ton of battery in the future

this might be something for a new threadā€¦ but are u using any cool TUIs? I just compiled spotify player and btop++

2 Likes

This was super slick to install and get up and running, thank you for building this and sharing with the community Rex!

2 Likes

Thank you, I appreciate it! Iā€™m glad I could help the community.

1 Like

can you explain me maybe how to setup the desktop environment? I wanna have the same for my rpi 5ā€¦ which has some ugly environment right now when I type startx so Iā€™ll stay in the 8 color console ā€¦ too ugly (tried to get kmscon (even kitty) running but without success).

But now that I see how lovely lx looks ā€¦

can I copy it (at least the configs) simply over maybe? got bookworm 6.1.0-rpi8-rpi-2710 running on there.

copying the dotfiles should work. Iā€™ve got a Image thatā€™s identical to the one I made for our devices but without the drivers (except the DevTerms thermal printer software) but will work for the rpi5. I can upload it if youā€™d like. Itā€™s running the stock rpi kernel.

pi5 journey

oh, it was a long journey to set up this pi 5 ā€¦ I had to compile a ton of stuff to get it all updating the firmwares (nvme etc.) and well ā€¦ nothing is available / working for arm haha ā€¦ learned a ton about linux on the way.

So ā€¦ since itā€™s a working system (with lots of audio stuff in jack2 etc.) I think Iā€™ll pass :sweat_smile: or are there any big advantages in the newer kernels? Itā€™s running perfectly more or less atmā€¦

aight thanks! will try it now ā€“ perfect work for procastination :crazy_face:

1 Like

copying the dotfiles should work and would be easier then doing all that work over again. that image has the stock rpi kernel I donā€™t think youā€™ll get that much of an improvement to bother and you can update to kernel 6.6.31 on the stock rpi kernel through the official repo.

1 Like

okayā€¦ I think itā€™s already lxde running.

copying ~/.config/lxsession and lxterminal over didnā€™t give me any changes. What configs would I want to copy over exactly?

Copy /var/lib/lightdm/.config from the my distro to your rpi5 and make sure the owner stays lightdm then your lockscreen will be in darkmode.

Also they are the clean files that you would need to restore the stock look I did to the user.

hmmā€¦ so I tarā€™ed that folder and copied to the other pi (also to the same location). No changeā€¦ still this super wannabe fancy desktop environment booting in ultra 4k :sweat_smile:

could you explain it like Iā€™m 5 maybe?

putting it in the lightdm location with the correct owner should only change the lockscreen to darkmode. also use those files in your home dir to make the same changes on the desktop. or get the files from /etc/skel in my image and put them in your home dir.

I didā€¦ nothing changesā€¦

owner ship is set correctly? in your home folder.

seems like itā€¦ hmmā€¦ weird

I use zram. I havenā€™t done any measurements to see what performance difference it makes, but same as you, I was concerned about SD card writes. Surely writing application memory to the SD card shortens its life.

I followed some random guide, which used GitHub - foundObjects/zram-swap: A simple zram swap service for modern systemd Linux

zram-generator looks pretty cool. If I get a chance Iā€™d like to try it out.

We could move this zram chat to a new topic, and in fact, that might be a good idea anyway because it would make the information easier to find. Currently there are a few off-topic mentions of zram scattered around other threads.

2 Likes

Done: Using zram for swap and tmp

1 Like

Is there a limitation on card storage?
I tried a 64G card, itā€™s OK, but a 256G card canā€™t start up.
How to solve this?

1. what are you using to flash?
  2. is the card SDXC?
  1. raspberrypi imager
  2. yes, SanDisk Ultra 256G

did you apply custom settings in rpi imager when you flashed the image?