Bookworm 6.1.21 DevTerm/uConsole

Here’s a updated Raspbian image with kernel 6.1.21. Special thanks goes out to @yatli for putting in the time to update the kernel.

20240419 - I redid the image, now improved.

Stock Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm with only the following modifications

• Clockworkpi Kernel held at 6.1.21, so update just don’t force update the kernel.
  • Auto-expanding File System
  • Correct Monitor rotation out the box
  • Charging defaults fixed
  • External antenna already set in config.txt
  • Switch between DevTerm and uConsole panels, Comment out unneeded one.
  • A few clockworkpi images for wallpapers

Raspberry Pi Imager will cause image not to boot if you apply custom settings.

Image never booted so first boot setup is still there.

Useful script for some DevTerm/uConsole tweaks

If you have any problems, tweaks or something to add comment below.

Not working

• DevTerm Thermal Printer
  • Brightness Adjustment - Works under KDE
8 Likes

Thanks for the work ! I will test it soon as possible.

If anyone is interested in running it on uC, make sure to adjust the panel dtoverlay to cwu50 instead of cwd686!

2 Likes

is there a repo available? i usually dont trust os images from google drives (and you should not, too, especially after the big XZ fiasco) :wink:

2 Likes

I agree, but as a point of fact that hack was distributed through bleeding edge developer repos.

3 Likes

No repo it was just something I slapped together after @yatli updated the kernel. You can always just compile the kernel yourself if you’d like now that the hard work has been done. I just whipped this up for people without that skill set yet.

1 Like

i did the same thing and created a kernel with the hacks, but didnt test it so far. Would like to compare the kernel. Do you have a link to the repo of the kernel with the hacks?

GitHub repo this is the repo the kernel was built from.

4 Likes

ty. seems like something went wrong with the repo, 5000 commits ahead of upstream ^^
i’ll try to do an audit.

EDIT: seems mostly to include the regular patches also found in PMOS (plus a few devterm patches), but on an older kernel. so should be fine. I only checked the commits done by @yatli as all other were over a year old and are probably just from using a different branch as source.

I tried to implement the same patches on the newest kernel available, had a few problems with the fact, that the upstream changed some calls / flags, so i checked the sourcecode of the kernel and tried to update the patches myself. sadly i have the worst development device possible (cm4 with emmc and no jumper to set the cm4 to flash mode), so i hesitate to try my own build and will probably use this proven working kernel instead.

installed - seems like brightness changing from the keyboard does not work

Nah, it’s comparing 6.1 to 6.6; rpi people backport things.

i assumed sth like this :slight_smile: may i ask why you used 6.1?

It’s the latest raspberrypi kernel release (see “Tags” in their repo), and therefore anything beyond this is considered bleeding edge

2 Likes

@Rex, I see you have enabled the 1.8GHz option – how does it feel? Stable? Temperature? Battery life?

uConsole @ 4x1.5GHz is incredibly cool, 4 core makepkg=47C degrees

It’s stable, I don’t run very many intensive tasks on the DevTerm. I just wanted a little extra when opening programs or something. I’ve got a cm4 IO board that I have overclocked to 2.2 on the CPU and 750 on the GPU. And I have absolutely no problems with that. I plan on doing a bunch of radio stuff with the Uconsole, so I’ll be boosting that pretty high. Got a few mods planned for it too.

1 Like

can confirm, i also have mine on 2GHZ and used it for an extended period of time. thought it would thermal throttle, but even with a stress test the big heat transfer pad works much better than anticipated, mine never exceeded 60°C. So unless you lost the silicon lottery, it should be rock solid.

2 Likes

@yatli with all the work you have done with kernel patching, are you able to / aware of the process of pushing the patches into rasbian mainline kernel so eventually all the downstream OS’ will run natively on the CM4? I would hope that eventually we get native support without custom kernels.

2 Likes

This would be an epic outcome from all this hard work!

the patches are based on official patches from clockworkpi and some of them (especially the ones for the battery control) will have impact on other hardware, so i doubt its a good idea to push them back in the upstream.

I redid the image, now improved.

Stock Raspberry Pi OS Bookworm with only the following modifications

*Clockworkpi Kernel held at 6.1.21, so update just don’t force update the kernel.
*Auto-expanding File System
*Correct Monitor rotation out the box
*Charging defaults fixed
*External antenna already set in config.txt
*Switch between DevTerm and uConsole panels, Comment out unneeded one.
*A few clockworkpi images for wallpapers

Image never booted so first boot setup is still there.

Link to image in original post

4 Likes