C64 keyboard issue

I’m looking to play some C64 roms and downloaded the Vice_x64_libretro.so core. The game requires me to press keyboard keys to start the game (select level, etc). For this particular game (jumpman) I just need numbers 1-5, so remapping the light keys would be ideal, but since the keypad is a keyboard it doesn’t seem to make sense to remap a typed ‘u’ to a typed ‘1’ and so on.

One thought I had was to recompile the keypad code to make the light keys just be 1-5, but that seems like it will work for this game and later I’ll need to make more changes. Is there a better way of doing this per rom?

I did notice that the Core seems to have an overlay keyboard for this very purpose but the controls didn’t seem to work for moving the pointer.

Can the C64 emulator load/make memory dumps? Because if so, a workaround for games that need the keyboard to choose cheats at start time may be to run them with a keyboard, get past the menu, and then save the emulator state, and use that as the game file in the Clockwork Pi.