Can I use raspberry pi CM4 8GB model on uConsole?

Hello

Can I plug in compute model 4 with 8GB of ram to uConsole?

I would assume you could swap out the cores at your discretion, but idk. Maybe when/if the Raspberry Pi CM5 drops, you could swap that in too. An upgrade path like that would make it that much better… now if only the uConsule I/O reflected the power of the CM4. An upgrade path too the carrier board and more expansion module options would be really cool.
:thinking:

that’s one nice thing about FOSS hardware, even when clockworkpi stops supporting the uConsole and/or DevTerm, third parties could develop new core modules, cell upgrades, or even a new compatible screen, for, say, 1080p or even 4k

This is what I’m planning on doing. But you need the CM I/O board to be able to flash the eMMC if you don’t get a Lite.

Nothing official from Clockwork so I could be wrong…

Alex told me I can use the 8Gb, no emmc. I ordered the R01 and adapter and separatly the CM4 8G. the uconsole should arrive today, so i will confirm the 8Gb soon!

1 Like

I used to understand that I could use one with emmc but pre-install the OS with extra hardware.

To use the eMMC you need a developer board for the CM4 unit. That is a bit of a pain, but the disk speed access will be way faster than the SD card.

It’s there… But a pain I’m sure… that is the jumper for flashing…

Yeah, I wised it can USB boot like the Pi but need to flash the ROM to enable that, and I believe the uConsole has no ROM no BIOS so can’t do that.

YES!
If you get a model with eMMC, you cannot use the SD card slot, though.
It doesn’t even show up on the system at all.

CM4+8GB RAM: Yes, no issues
CM4+eMMC: Yes, it works, but you have to flash the eMMC boot drive with another system (dev/breakout board)

I’m using a CM4+32GB+8GBRAM with 0 issues.

2 Likes

I am also using the same CM4 with eMMC, it does work well.