Just got my uConsole but I bought a CM4 with EMMC

From what I have read you can’t boot from SD card with a EMMC board but I also read the uConsole can’t write to EMMC. Is there a way to get this running or am I stuck with getting another board?

1 Like

It will work. You just need to flash the OS to the eMMC using a carrier board, which unfortunately isn’t included. How to flash Raspberry Pi OS onto the Compute Module 4 eMMC with usbboot | Jeff Geerling

Will be cheaper than getting another CM4.

2 Likes

Awesome thank you! Will I have any problems with updating?

Once you get an OS copied onto the EMMC it should be smooth sailing. I’m using three different systems with these non-lite CM4. They are a little bit of a hassle to setup the first time.

To be clear, the CM4 can access the eMMC as normal. If you have an operating system running, you can download files, initiate software updates, run an FTP server, whatever you’d expect to do from a computer.

You just can’t wire another computer up to the uConsole to flash an image directly to the eMMC. It doesn’t act as a carrier board. That’s all.

Exactly. But the advantage of the speed compensate for the difficulty of flashing, I think.

It’s about the same. Faster in some circumstances, but there appears to be a similar bottleneck. The Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 Review | Jeff Geerling

I’m running a cm4 with emmc. You’ll need a io board to program the emmc. Whatever board you get read up on it’s procedure. As soon as I found a USB cable that was good; the image flashed the same as an SD card. After that it was just like anything other raspberry pi stashed in a cool shell doing cool stuff.

P.s. I am very pleased after overclocking to 2 GHz., with the bookworm os adaptation done by a member on the forum.

As noted you need a carrier board to load the OS and some can be a wee bit spendy. I would suggest the “Waveshare Nano Base Board (B) for Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4”.

A. Not too expensive
B. Usually readily available, Amazon carries them as an example
C. If you have a spare CM4 it is makes a great, tiny PI with 40PIN GPIO, Gigabit Ethernet, USB2.0, DSI, CSI, 3.5mm Audio Jack.

1 Like

I’ve just flashed my EMMC CM4 using a CM4-Nano-A. Can’t remember what the difference is between the A and B but the A works OK.

A is real stripped back, USB port, CSI connector, 40 pin connector, thats it
B includes Gigabit Etherenet, DSI, CSI and HDMI
C swaps B’s Ethernet for an 8MP camera