uConsole with 8GB RAM/ 32GB EMMC

Do you plan to offer a uConsole RPI-CM4 with a more powerful RPi CM4? Or, perhaps, with NO Rpi CM4 so you can choose your own?

There’s already an option to order the Raspberry Pi uConsole without the CM4 included.

According to their shop, you can order one without a core. Might want to email them just to make sure.

1 Like

When ordering, you can choose whether you want a module or not

2 Likes

I have a CM4 with WiFi, 8GB RAM and 32 GB storage but I think I will buy a lite model because I want to use the SD card to store the OS (since eMMC is too delicate IMHO). But today It’s costing an arm and a leg.

As a reminder and FAQ for anyone else who wants to drop their own CM4 into the Console.

Unless you also have a separate, proper carrier board, you won’t be able to set up a CM4 with eMMC memory with the Uconsole.

To load the OS to one of these types of CM you need the necessary hardware switching to load it, the Uconsole does not come with said switch

I was told it comes with the adapter? i have a 2gb and a 4gb cm4 devices how would these work would i need to buy extra hardware if i ordered the cm4 version without the cm4?

You only need the extra hardware (Buy a Compute Module 4 IO Board – Raspberry Pi) if you want to use a CM4 with integrated eMMC memory and want to write the OS on that integrated memory rather than on an external SD card (as would be normal). Otherwise, regardless of which CM4 you use, it should work with no additional steps.

(Also, you only need the IO Board to flash the OS onto the CM4; after that, it’ll fit onto the CPi board as normal)

So i don’t need the io board if i just want to use the sd card slot on the cm4 to write the os to?

The CM4 does not have an sd card slot itself, but the uConsole has one. So, if you keep the OS on the SD card (as you would if you were using an A04 or A06 or R01 core), then yes, you wouldn’t need an IO-Board.

I didn’t realize it was possible to boot from SD if the CM4 had eMMC. I thought it would only boot from the eMMC in a Devterm (and presumably uConsole since it’s the same main board). It might be good to confirm that. I’m pretty sure I saw confirmation that the SD card is inaccessible (for boot and also for just using as storage) when using a CM4 with eMMC.

Even if it does work, the eMMC memory would definitely be inaccessible on the Devterm/uConsole, so it would be a waste and more costly since a CM4 Lite would be cheaper.

Similarly, I’m pretty sure using a CM4 without wifi built in will not allow you to use even the wifi on the main board. So you must get a CM4 Lite with wifi.

All 8GB of RAM are accessible on a CM4 Lite 8GB. I managed to get one of those (with wifi and no eMMC) and it works fine.

Confirmed that the SD card is unavailable for use for any CM4 with eMMC on the Devtern. It’s on the official website too. So the same is almost certainly true for uConsole.

That means you cannot boot a CM4 with eMMC off the SD card. You can only boot it from eMMC.

1 Like

That’s pity, the extra cost is just for program the CM4 and we won’t do
that everyday.