Celeste Game on GameShell

Hello there!

You guys thinks this “port” are available for play in our GameShells? There will be awesome!

If we compile pico8 for the GS it would work. But requires buying licence. https://www.lexaloffle.com/pico-8.php#getpico8

Edit: Instead of compiling (as its closed source), I meant editing the config files and tweaking the stuff they provide on their ARM package.

1 Like

I´ll pay this license for the community if you want! (Celeste Game worth it and the GameShell too <3) But there´s no way for port the game to this system to have better graphics or something? Like CaveStory or DOOM? What are this distributions? Sorry for my ignorance…

The pico-8 is a fantasy console and Celeste is a “cartridge” for it. There are alot of cartridges https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?cat=7#sub=2&mode=carts

To have installed pico-8, everyone needs a licence on their own.

Pocket CHIP had some kind of agreement with lexaloffle and the licence was included in the chip OS
http://blog.nextthing.co/pico-8-now-free-for-all-c-h-i-p-s/

1 Like

The whole idea of Pico8 is that you have limited resources and thus graphics for a game. So it will probably be possible to run Pico8 on GS (if you get a license, which is per person), but you won’t get better graphics.

1 Like

If I purchase that license, you know any tutorial to install Pico-8 on my GS or the steps that I make to put it all togheter and make it runs Celeste finally? (I really love this game)

Thank you for explain me all and for your help!

Well, actually its not “Compiling” as I said because its not an open source. So it would be downloading the packages they provide (Its cross platform) and editing configs.

This is roughtly how one would run pico-8 on arm: https://www.reddit.com/r/pico8/comments/4wkihx/pico8_on_linux_arm/d6pgz5y

Yep, I see… Im diggin’ and only found that the Pi and CHIP version don´t works…

I saw this too: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=31139

It´s seems some people are interested to put Pico-8 on our GS since months!

GS is fairly recent, maybe in the future they will release a compatible one.

Meanwhile if you are bored or wanna try for science, you could export a cartridge to the web version and create a web viewer or install surf.

The EXPORT command can be used to generate png, wav files and stand-alone html and native
binary cartridge players. The output format is inferred from the filename extention (e.g.
.png).

You are free to distribute and use exported cartridges and data as you please, provided 
that you have permission from the author and contributors.

:: Sprite Sheet (.png)

IMPORT BLAH.PNG     --  expects 128x128 png and colour-fits to the pico-8 palette
	EXPORT BLAH.PNG     --  use folder() to locate the exported png

:: SFX and Music (.wav)

EXPORT BLAH.WAV     --  export music from the current pattern (when editor mode is MUSIC)
	EXPORT BLAH.WAV     --  export the current SFX (when editor mode is SFX)
	EXPORT BLAH%D.WAV   --  exports all of the SFXs as blah0.wav, blah1.wav .. blah63.wav

:: HTML Player (.html)

To generate a stand-alone html player (foo.html and foo.js):
	> EXPORT FOO.HTML

Or just the .js file:
	> EXPORT FOO.JS

Optionally provide a custom html template with the -p switch:
	> EXPORT FOO.HTML -P ONE_BUTTON

This will use the file {application data}/pico-8/plates/one_button.html as the
	html shell, replacing a special string, ##js_file##, with the .js filename.
1 Like

I´ll pay this license for the community if you want!

No no no and no. A PICO-8 license is a personal license. There is no version to share.
Please no piracy or discussion about piracy here.

Hahahahahaha you´re so funny :slight_smile: Obviously I don´t wanna make any piracy here, take it easy :slight_smile:

I don´t know how its works and other kind people are explain me :slight_smile:

That’s fine :slight_smile:

I jumped a bit sorry about that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I spent the afternoon attempting to get PICO-8 running on GameShell. It looks pretty similar to other Linux installs we’ve discussed in the PICO-8 forum. The Raspberry Pi build should work, but it needs a little help, and I don’t quite have it working on mine yet. The problems and potential solutions are similar to these threads: https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=3935 https://www.lexaloffle.com/bbs/?tid=30125

Notes:

The “pico8” binary is statically linked. On GS, it looks for and fails to find libbcm_host.so, which is the Broadcom BCM library for GPIO pins. I couldn’t install or bodge this library, so this might be a dead end. Ideas welcome.

The “pico8_dyn” binary is dynamically linked, and is usually the solution when the static binary doesn’t work out of the box. It needs fresh builds of wiringPi and SDL. Installing wiringPi is easy enough:

git clone git://git.drogon.net/wiringPi
cd wiringPi
./build
cd

I don’t quite have the magic words yet for SDL on GS. pico8_dyn prints a runtime fatal error message “SDL Error: rpi not available”. A Google search for this phrase brings up exactly two pages, and they’re both PICO-8 forum threads on this subject. :slight_smile: Presumably building SDL from scratch would help, but this does not do it:

tar -xzf SDL2-2.0.8.tar.gz
cd SDL2-2.0.8
./configure --disable-video-opengl --disable-video-x11 --disable-pulseaudio --disable-esd --disable-video-mir --disable-video-wayland
make -j 4
sudo make install

I’ve done this successfully on other platforms starting from a clean install of Raspian, so I might try that next. I’d prefer keeping the charming clockwork OS launcher menu if possible. I’ll be sure to share widely if I figure it out, and if anyone else finds it first, please let me know!

– Dan

1 Like

I got it to work like this:

SDL_VIDEODRIVER=x11 DISPLAY=:0 ./pico8_dyn (starting via ssh)

@fr500 Promising that you got it to work, but I can’t reproduce. For me it just changes the error message to “SDL Error: x11 not available”. Naturally, because I built my SDL without x11 support because I didn’t think CPi would support it. Are you using the stock clockwork OS? Did you compile SDL from source with certain options? (I assume you built wiringPi.)

Update: I rebuilt SDL with default options and got it to run and make noise, but the launcher is in the way so I can’t see it. Feels pretty close, will mess with it some more.

yes stock clockwork OS and SDL from debian repos

Well that’s tantalizing. It’ll run with the x11 driver, and it won’t run with any other installed SDL driver. It’s clearly running, I can hear it start up, but I still see the launcher’s “loading” screen. DISPLAY=:0 doesn’t seem to change it (though I can see why that’d be necessary when invoking from ssh). I switched to the stock SDL instead of the custom-built SDL, no change. This is true from both ssh and invoked by a launcher script. launcher returns if I killall pico8_dyn over ssh.

It’s possible that I have something non-standard in the way. I may try to image a new SD card and see if that helps.

I’m close!

IMG_0341

The magic recipe is a combination of those display environment vars and PICO-8 config changes for display (size, fullscreen mode) and keys. I’m still having issues starting it from the Launcher, and because it’s not running from the Launcher the Launcher is still running in the background and dims the screen (writes to /proc/driver/led1) after a number of seconds.

The good news is that it plays great when it’s working. I’ll post the full recipe soon after I’ve done some more tweaks and researched the last few issues.

3 Likes

Ooooh just congrats! Wow man youre awesome :slight_smile:
Keep it up this awesomeness work :tada: and thank you for make it possible!

All done! I wrote up an article for the GameShell wiki:

Please help test this and send me feedback! I wrote it with beginners in mind. Note that you’ll need to purchase a PICO-8 license ($15 USD).

I’ll probably split out the scp and ssh instructions into separate articles, so we can refer to them for other purposes. Then we can add articles on uploading emulator ROMs, customizing the Launcher, etc.

3 Likes