Dev Environment

I am interested in knowing in more detail the development environment for Game Shell / clockworkPi. Is it a specific software? Is it available for download?

5 Likes

At this time, we don’t have a dedicated development environment software, but like with other Pi, standard Linux-based Dev editor/program should work just fine.

GameShell community coordinator

1 Like

SDL2 working?
X11 or other library?

1 Like

I don’t see any reason why SDL 1 or 2 would not work, as long as the display is a standard framebuffer.

1 Like

I’m thinking about doing a 2-D game populated with sprite objects attached to a grid. For this, the environment must support the ability to render images and animate them as a trigger to some internal logic in the game, for example turning the object or movement across coordinates. (I think you create what’s called a listener object, and you build that listener into the attributes of a polymeric sprite character.) Objects need to be able to interact with each other, for example to pick up a power-up icon or to attack a baddie. Just to start, it’ll be easy to create a pong game like that.

Does anyone have any ideas about what utilities can facilitate these requirements? Will there be a catalog or share library? You’d be surprised how much people are willing to do creatively just for enjoyment. I remember the Spore artists made some really amazing creatures. Besides shared game content, people could also publish tutorials.

You don’t want islands of data. It’s better to centralize the distribution platform.

1 Like

So you want something like Klik & Play or The Game Factory?

The creators of these tool still exist ( http://www.clickteam.com/ ) but I don’t think that their tool can export to Linux/ARM target, but that something you can ask to them if you are interested!

Else, maybe unity could help, but that is a big tool to use, and the last solution is “DIY” unfortunately.

1 Like

I don’t have much penetration there, no clout. But yes, that tool would really simplify game creation. The developer could focus on the artistry and not have to worry about the mechanics. That fusion engine looks like it encapsulates a lot of the logic, very high level. Though, I imagine those tools are proprietary.

I remember from awhile ago that one of the main interests among people who developed the Raspberry Pi was to bring personal computing to the underprivileged. Embedded systems, robotics, etc. evolved as derivatives. And of course coffee-shop hacking was never the intention.

That’s just my narrative. I don’t want to be a reconstructionist. I look forward to accessing legacy games on the device, but it would be neat if we could innovate.

1 Like

I think what you are looking for is something like Stencyl - http://www.stencyl.com/download/ - but I don’t know if a game created with Stencyl will work until my Gameshell arrive. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

If it produce flash app, I think it will not be compatible. It is is source code maybe.

Well the easiest, can you make games run’ing on a RaspberryPi with it?

The forums showed it’s possible, but not in an out-of-the-box kind of way and involved modifications to get it working. So maybe not the best choice for this platform?

I don’t know how applicable it is but the 3 most recent issues of the mag pi (at https://www.raspberrypi.org/magpi/issues/) have had a column about creating games in C++ on raspbian for the raspberry pi (a different CPU to the clocokwork pi, but still a quad-core ARM). The pdfs are free so it might be worth a look if you don’t mind a bit of C++

I would imagine that the OS will come with gcc/g++ as it is usually preinstalled on linux these days.

4 Likes