clockworkpi

Development workflow

Hi All,

I’ve just purchased a Gameshell device and I’m interested in developing games for it. What are most people using for a workflow? I would like to use Python or Lua. I’ve seen older messages about installing the Python arcade library, but the first time I tried, installing the library failed after installing Python 3.7. I’ve read elsewhere that the install instructions are outdates. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!
Mike

2 Likes

PyGame is definitely a hot seller on the GS, as well as PICO-8, if you’ve got $15 USD lying around you can get it from lexaloffle store. Love2D is compatible as well. If you have interest in JS, there are several good tutorials on setting up NWJS and Phaser, like this one!

edit: Welcome to the GameShell community!

Thanks for the info! I’ll loop into those options.

Hey!

I’m currently dabbling with Rust and SDL with some success (simple graphics, full screen and launcher system is pretty simple to get going) but I’ll probably use java to get it something out for the gamejam in time.

As @noahbechtel said, pygame is definitely a quick way to get started and you can take a peek at the README.md and applications installed on the gameshell to get an idea how to launch and get up and running :slight_smile:

Also, there is a discord chat for clockworkpi!

1 Like

Thanks for the info!

or tic80

1 Like

I am currently using C++ and SDL2 and developing in a Linux environment. I have created a build system that generates makefiles and uses docker containers to cross-compile to different platforms, including Windows 32 and 64 bit, Linux 32 and 64 bit, and armhf (which is the architecture of the GameShell).

1 Like

seconded… TIC-80 is easy to install and easy on the CPI specs -you can always write for it in the PC version and move the cartridge file

I decided to double down on Rust and SDL2. Nice to see another SDL buddy around, was actually a really easy setup in the end.

I’ve been using C++ and the JUCE Framework for my projects. Something like SDL would probably be more appropriate, but this setup lets me easily reuse a bunch of useful modules I made when I re-wrote the Pocket-Home launcher.

I am using Qt and C++, thats how BatMon was built.